Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The Nose Question

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes that is actually a very common theme in other forums I have noticed. Maybe it would be fun to have a sticky, kitten to adult? Or even an entire section for all the different photo categories, for F1, F2, Nonstandard, Kittens, Kittens - Adulthood, etc.

we can do that Alisha...as soon as some of the breeders agree to post kittens to Adult, I will create a section under photos...

Trish Allearz

Uuuh- I could probably do it too.

As for nose color... Here is Abu with what looks like (to my eye at the time) a pretty solid black nose... Then you can see how the red blossomed and now it's a black outlined nose.

His Daddy has a red nose and his Momma has a solid black nose. His sister from a previous litter has a red nose and his half siblings have black noses (half sibling F2s).

Attachments

• Han0326.jpg
    Han0326.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Abu0603.jpg
    Abu0603.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 32

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think I can just see a lightening in the center of that baby nose though... what about his half-siblings then... have baby and older pics of them too?

Trish Allearz

I think I can just see a lightening in the center of that baby nose though... what about his half-siblings then... have baby and older pics of them too?
Only have the one girl and she was born with a pink-pink nose. I think it's now red- LOL!

And yeah, now I think I can see the lighter color in the middle, but it didn't 'click' until I started taking better res pics!

Attachments

• leia0605.jpg
    leia0605.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 21

Trish Allearz

Oh sorry- half sibs stayed black...

Attachments

• 426488_358427027502399_100000053143204_1443987_1814606923_n.jpg
    426488_358427027502399_100000053143204_1443987_1814606923_n.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 25
K

Kronos

Kronos had a much darker nose, with less red showing as a baby, and now his nose is nearly all pink with just a black outline. As a baby I often thought his nose marking looked like an extracted human tooth!

Attachments

• kronos face.jpg
    kronos face.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 25
  • kronos face.jpg
    kronos face.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 25
  • kronos nose.jpg
    kronos nose.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 24
  • kronos close up small.jpg
    kronos close up small.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 27

Kurt Mylar

Savannah Super Cat
Tiger and Bintu are from the same parents. Tigers nose changed but not Bintu's. Loki's is red colored already.

DSC_1303.JPG

DSC_1312.JPG

Attachments

• CatPictures.5.15.12 577.JPG
    CatPictures.5.15.12 577.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 21

Mike

Savannah Kitten
thanks for the replies :). I guess there really is no guarantee, just the luck of the draw. I mean even if both parents are black nose, there still might be a chance there may become red nosed , but a higher chance it will have a black nose?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've never seen a pink nosed kitten when both parents have black noses (unless the black nose is from the cat being melanistic/solid black). I'm watching the warm toned bst kitten I have here closely for that reason. If any other litter I'd assume it would turn pink as most warm toned kittens do end up with pink noses... but both parents are black nosed bst.

But if one parent has a pink nose then I think it's different.

Attachments

• Jun10-12-golden-girl.jpg
    Jun10-12-golden-girl.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 17