Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The Royal Rumble of cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dawn

Dawn, did you read my subsequent reply after you explained a bit more? I am not the only one who "misunderstood" your original post so please consider that it was how the information was presented to the group rather than those of us who took the time to reply. We aren't out to get you and certainly not trying to be mean. We were concerned about the kitten... all of us were.... including your breeder.

Yes I did after I posted this.. Sorry! I just know I made a promise to Shelby and I take good care of my pets. Sorry for getting so defensive.

Per Lausund

Staff member
Trim claws if you haven't already, that tends to reduce inter-cat pressure.
Inky probably feels imposed on, and has to protect his blind friend as well. You've tried feeding them together from separate bowls? It may help, especially if you cuddle Inky while at the feeding. Best of luck, you've done well so far!

S

shelby

I just had an idea...LORD HELP US ALL!lol I think a reverse quarantine might be in order. Jazzy has already been out and about. Why not shut the female up that is so unhappy. Shut her up and see if things do not settle down. This will give Jazzy a chance to be out and about without worrying that she will be attacked. It may take her a day or so to realize the big bad wolf is no longer waiting for a chance to attack her. You might keep the other cat in a room part of the day and in a pet carrier sitting in the middle of the floor so they can see each other , but without the chasing and attacking. If there are two cats involved...shut them both up. At this point in time..it won't hurt to try. I am sure Jazzy will allow herself to venture out of the kitchen when she knows she won't be attacked.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I was watching "My Cat From Hell" last night on the DVR and it was the episode with the two cats in the small NY apartment that were warring, it was ugly and I am guessing similar to what you are seeing with Inky hunting poor little Jazzy... there were some good tips in there, maybe the episode is being repeated on Animal Planet or even on the website?

I do think a calming collar for Inky might be a good move, and also the Nutricalm. Anything to take the edge off Inky so she's not feeling so reactive to this new kitty...

Also consider that Inky might have been feeling very very jealous of the new addition and all the attention the cute new kitten was getting. Sometimes we forget to pay the existing cats as much attention and also to try to make them feel special too. It's probably similar to the toddler tantrums when the new baby comes home... so maybe make special effort with Inky in terms of treats or playtime that she particularly loves? Just a thought...

D

Dawn

I was watching "My Cat From Hell" last night on the DVR and it was the episode with the two cats in the small NY apartment that were warring, it was ugly and I am guessing similar to what you are seeing with Inky hunting poor little Jazzy... there were some good tips in there, maybe the episode is being repeated on Animal Planet or even on the website?

I do think a calming collar for Inky might be a good move, and also the Nutricalm. Anything to take the edge off Inky so she's not feeling so reactive to this new kitty...

Also consider that Inky might have been feeling very very jealous of the new addition and all the attention the cute new kitten was getting. Sometimes we forget to pay the existing cats as much attention and also to try to make them feel special too. It's probably similar to the toddler tantrums when the new baby comes home... so maybe make special effort with Inky in terms of treats or playtime that she particularly loves? Just a thought...

I saw this last night also.

D

Dawn

I just had an idea...LORD HELP US ALL!lol I think a reverse quarantine might be in order. Jazzy has already been out and about. Why not shut the female up that is so unhappy. Shut her up and see if things do not settle down. This will give Jazzy a chance to be out and about without worrying that she will be attacked. It may take her a day or so to realize the big bad wolf is no longer waiting for a chance to attack her. You might keep the other cat in a room part of the day and in a pet carrier sitting in the middle of the floor so they can see each other , but without the chasing and attacking. If there are two cats involved...shut them both up. At this point in time..it won't hurt to try. I am sure Jazzy will allow herself to venture out of the kitchen when she knows she won't be attacked.

Shelby, i'm going to do what we talked about on the phone. It's been quiet so far today and Craig just said to me that it looks like Inky is starting to careless. She hasn't done anything today so maybe she's starting to give up. But if it happens again I'm just going to pick Inky up and put her in Corey's room and close the door for a time out. I don't want to close Jazzy into the room again since she's out and about now. I don't want her to think she did something wrong.

The noise was just so horrible I felt sorry for Jazzy and when you hear that and you aren't there to see it you start to think oh crap someone is killing someone. Luckily it's just the hissing and some chasing but no killer attacks.

Like I said... Jazzy isn't the trouble maker, Inky is and remember I told you I thought it was going to be mother cat Boots who would be the trouble maker since she is the first cat of the house, but Boots doesn't even bother with her.

So I think I will try the time out thing we discussed over the phone, but with Inky. Jazzy shouldn't be punished because of Fat cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.