Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toilet training? litter? Quarantine?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would be very hesitant to bring in a cat or kitten that has never been vaccinated, the stress from the trip itself could overwhelm him leaving him susceptible to illness, and being unprotected makes it even that more dangerous. Same goes with the neuter. If this breeder is a vet tech then she should have no problem giving him an FVRCP before sending him to you, and then I would give him an additional vaccine prior to neutering him.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
It is usually two rounds correct? so first round before leaves wait two weeks then after I recieve him how long should I wait a month? Then 2 weeks after neuter? At that point he should be just shy of 6 months so that would be a definate time for neuter.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You can give him a second vaccine two weeks after he arrives then neuter him a week or more later.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I won't chime in on the vaccinations as I feel that you are getting excellent advice here already.
Regarding the kitty litter - we started out with feline pine as it was the closest thing we could get to the horse bedding that our breeder was using. Whatever the breeder is using, continue to use for a good month before you transition to something else. When doing the transition, mix a bit of new with the old until your kitten gets used to it.
We used our bedroom as a quarantine room. It has an attached bathroom but there wasn't enough space for the jumbo litter box we bought. We just had it in a corner of the bedroom and it was fine. We scooped the little poopies daily and just fluffed up the litter for the urine. When quarantine was over, we kept the box in our bedroom for another week and then moved it to the hallway right outside (door was always left open). We gradually moved the box down to the laundry room where the other litter box is (for our boy Jammu). Once she found this box, she instantly started using it. Both cats share the same box so we finally removed the 2nd one. When one is in there, the other frequently climbs in for reasons unknown. I know that some cats have issues sharing a litter box but ours don't. I have no idea about a bun and cat sharing though.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I wouldn't plan on them sharing. that could spell quite a mess. If they get along I could see the buns stepping in it or laying in it by accident since they love hanging out in litter boxes. I think they like my floor vents more anyways thought. They have this bad habit of using the floor vent as a litter box. I thought they just liked when the heater kicked on. Then I started noticing this ping sound like something was dropping into the vent when they sat there.....low and behold I had a mess to clean. That wasn't fun at all considering my vacuum was broken at the time haha. Apparently she uses both a clay litter and pine litter and he uses both kinds. She says he's pretty easy going about it. so I guess trial and error.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I think they like my floor vents more anyways thought. They have this bad habit of using the floor vent as a litter box. I thought they just liked when the heater kicked on. Then I started noticing this ping sound like something was dropping into the vent when they sat there.....low and behold I had a mess to clean. That wasn't fun at all considering my vacuum was broken at the time haha.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"[/quote]
Ewwwwww! :uh oh:

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
creativity never killed the bun or was it cat? Lol