Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Trimming nails

Trish Allearz

I've trimmed F1 nails down to F6s and have never had any issues, but then I can bathe them too. I'm the boss- they're the babies.

The worse cats in regard to nail trims for me have been the 'regular' kitties. Some have been quite the little buttheads!

Kristin

Animal Communicator
After I trimmed Zeddie's nails yesterday she flung herself at her tree and slipped because her grip had changed. I felt so bad!!

D

Dantes

I've trimmed F1 nails down to F6s and have never had any issues, but then I can bathe them too. I'm the boss- they're the babies.

Please share how you do this! Do you restrain them? Treats? What? Can you post a video or something?

As I said earlier, I can do whatever I want with Duma's paws and nails, up until the moment he sees clippers of any sort. I tried waiting until he fell asleep but even that only worked for one nail before he shot up and away. I can't even restrain him by sitting on him, he becomes a worm and wiggles away every time. It's exhausting. The only thing that works is the clothespins, and even that has a relatively quick expiration, so I have to work fast.

Trish Allearz

Please share how you do this! Do you restrain them? Treats? What? Can you post a video or something?

As I said earlier, I can do whatever I want with Duma's paws and nails, up until the moment he sees clippers of any sort. I tried waiting until he fell asleep but even that only worked for one nail before he shot up and away. I can't even restrain him by sitting on him, he becomes a worm and wiggles away every time. It's exhausting. The only thing that works is the clothespins, and even that has a relatively quick expiration, so I have to work fast.
Have you tried two people? And what type of clippers are you using?

I use human nail clippers- I am more experienced with them (as are we all) and it's easier to snip real fast.

If the clothespins work, by all means- use what works! LOL! But I don't know- my crew has been pretty well behaved with nail clippings. In fact, I think it's my Selkirk Rexes who have put up the bigger fuss over the years- right before cat shows!

D

Dantes

Have you tried two people? And what type of clippers are you using?

I use human nail clippers- I am more experienced with them (as are we all) and it's easier to snip real fast.

If the clothespins work, by all means- use what works! LOL! But I don't know- my crew has been pretty well behaved with nail clippings. In fact, I think it's my Selkirk Rexes who have put up the bigger fuss over the years- right before cat shows!

I only have one person (me) until I learn how to clone, so no I haven't tried two people :(

With the clothespins, I'm able to use a dremel, which IMO gives the cleanest filing. Before the clothespins I always used human nail clippers. I've never been able to get those cat nail scissors to work, or at the very least I can never figure out how to position them accurately to not get too close, so they scare me, the human clippers are so much easier.

I guess I just wish it weren't such a challenge. If there was some way to convince him that I'm not out to hurt him...to hypnotize him lol...I don't know, I mean nail clipping on any cat isn't exactly easy, but he's the only cat I've ever had to put up such a fuss and make it so difficult. Usually I'm the one called in to help clip nails for the neighbors lol but my own Duma is just a PITA!

Of course I can't compare him to a Ragdoll but Dante just sits there extending his paws while I dremel them into little manicured nails lol

Trish Allearz

I only have one person (me) until I learn how to clone, so no I haven't tried two people :(

With the clothespins, I'm able to use a dremel, which IMO gives the cleanest filing. Before the clothespins I always used human nail clippers. I've never been able to get those cat nail scissors to work, or at the very least I can never figure out how to position them accurately to not get too close, so they scare me, the human clippers are so much easier.

I guess I just wish it weren't such a challenge. If there was some way to convince him that I'm not out to hurt him...to hypnotize him lol...I don't know, I mean nail clipping on any cat isn't exactly easy, but he's the only cat I've ever had to put up such a fuss and make it so difficult. Usually I'm the one called in to help clip nails for the neighbors lol but my own Duma is just a PITA!

Of course I can't compare him to a Ragdoll but Dante just sits there extending his paws while I dremel them into little manicured nails lol
LOL! Some kitties just put up a bigger fuss then others. I scruff mine if they fuss and just do it, but I've gotten pretty quick about it so it's not a big deal. Two people definitely makes it easier though :(

feedtheflame

Savannah Super Cat
just tried that clothes pins things with two or three and he stil moves around and tries to bite...albeit limper reactions but still.....even if i grab him with my hand he still squirms. what am i doing wrong?

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
What I do that seems to be successful with my girls who can be quite evil and scary is I get my daughter to hold them by the scruff of the neck and dangle them. I stand in front and clip. We only do one paw at a time and give a rest. Luckily when they are pregnant they are ok with the nail trimming.

feedtheflame

Savannah Super Cat
What I do that seems to be successful with my girls who can be quite evil and scary is I get my daughter to hold them by the scruff of the neck and dangle them. I stand in front and clip. We only do one paw at a time and give a rest. Luckily when they are pregnant they are ok with the nail trimming.

so the extra pull from their own body weight helps relax them more eh?