Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Understanding pedigree certificates.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Brigitte - what does it mean when you say " line bred to strengthen that influence?"
Line breeding is another term for inbreeding, some differentiate it as inbreeding being brother-sister and line-breeding being parent-child (or vice versa )...what this means is that you are breeding relatives together. When the aim is to strengthen a trait, it might be that a certain cat has fabulous ears... so you might breed two offspring of that cat together to increase the chance of the progeny having those ears because you are increasing the inheritance of that cat's genetics by using siblings together in that way. Or you might use a stud with his granddaughter or something more distantly related like cousins.

Some pedigree programs that breeders use actually calculate an "inbreeding coefficient" that calculates from generations back how related the cats are so that you can hopefully avoid some of the deleterious effects of limiting the genepool that way. This can be important when the pedigrees get really detailed. For example, I have seen A1Savannah cats' pedigrees that look like five generations with no cat appearing more than once...but if you have some of the pedigrees of the great-grandparents then you might discover that only one or two gens back they all go back to the same handful of cats. This was actually pretty darn common in Bengal pedigrees (I spent some time some years back line-chasing and learnt a lot about this) where so many of the cats were from the founding breeder Millwood and came from the same ALC with the same couple females... with a lot of mother-son breedings etc.

Bristol Lad

Savannah Super Cat
Patti and ambiente18 - both of your pedigree looks so much different, I want one lol.

Brigitte - thanks for explaining it sounds horrible inbreeding.

Rascaldad - yeah sorry stupid predictive message it should be neutered and welcome distant cousin.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Brigitte - thanks for explaining it sounds horrible inbreeding.
I don't particularly like inbreeding because of the health implications. Limitation of the genetics has lead to a number of breeds being in pretty bad shape nowadays. This is one of the ways TICA is a much better cat registry than CFA (the other cat registry, but they don't accept Savannahs) because TICA allows outcrossing. This allows a breed to decide for health's sake to do so...for example the Burmese breed which has a devastating skull defect in its breed. By importing new cats from the streets of Burma they have been able to outcross and keep going with healthier gene pools.

The Savannah breed is so fortunate, it's gene pool is diverse as not just Servals but a number of different cat breeds were used to create the foundation stock... we are as outcrossed as you can get. So with care to not inbreed heavily we should be in good shape.

it's something that benefits the looks but maybe not the health. And good cat breeders prioritize: health, temperament then type!

SV Dad

Site Supporter
Nice comment Brigette! I like your thought process. It is comforting to know the wide outcrossing helps ensure a healthy stock.

SV Dad

Site Supporter
Bristol, Patti's pedigree is what you would get. Ambiente's is the ownership transfer and name registration.
On a health point, my SE cats are very healthy. The foundation serval they used, Keystone, was a healthy beautiful cat! (May he rest in peace)

But the serval isn't the end all or be all of a pedigree :) the domestic bred to the Serval and it's background is just as important :)

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

SV Dad

Site Supporter
Agree Trish. Every bit if not more, as the influence wains in successive generations. I mentioned it partly as to why our cats are related.