Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

uri??

ammcelhaney

Savannah Super Cat
Hello all! I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from you all on what my poor Oakley might have :( He is almost 15 weeks old, and I've had him for almost a month now. The place where I got him, to say the least, wasn't up to my expectations.. but the kittens and adult cats were all fed very well and seemed to be very healthy so I didn't think much else of it. Well Oakley's been sneezing NONSTOP with a ton of nasal discharge. At first he wasn't sneezing.. but doing this coughing/gagging type thing like he had a hairball. It sounded terrible like he was going to throw up but it would only last a minute, if that, and then he would go back to playing. Well I took him to he vet whenever I got him and he said it's likely that he has a upper respiratory infection and gave him some shots and antibiotics. The coughing/gagging stopped and now he's just non stop sneezing. It just recently started and I've been doing some research online and all of the answers point to feline herpes :( He does go back to the vet on Tuesday, but I figured till then I would ask for your opinions on what you think it is.. or if any of your babies have had this? Thanks!

Also! Oakley is eating, drinking, and using the bathroom all on a regular basis so that isn't of any concern. He's playful as can be and his sickness doesn't seem to bother him.

Trish Allearz

It could definitely be herpes, but I think there are a host of other URI it could be as well. I'd probably just get him on Lysine as a supplement and see what your vet says :)

ammcelhaney

Savannah Super Cat
I'm hoping it's nothing serious! lol. I feel so terrible for him. The poor thing has a stuffy nose and wakes up out of a sleep to sneeze

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Is the sneezing clear fluid or opaque? And so the sneezing started a bit after the vet visit? The problem is (and hard to avoid this) is that visiting the vet can introduce another pathogen. Kinda like sitting in the doctor's office with sick people and coming home with a cold. I'm assuming the kitten had already had two vaccinations before you got the kitten? And generally that is the best we can do, but vaccination only helps them with infections and does not PREVENT the infection, especially when it comes to Rhinotracheitis (Herpes). Lysine can help lots, but if he doesn't respond to that I'd consider paying for a PCR Upper Respiratory pathogen panel (IDEXX test) to try and work out what is going on. Good luck!

ammcelhaney

Savannah Super Cat
Just a lot of green snot whenever he sneezes. I am taking him to get his lost set of shots Tuesday. The first time I took him to get a check up after I got him the vet took his temp and it was dangerously high but has since then gone down to normal and he occasionally still does the gagging thing. I was thinking maybe he's doing it a lot because of the air conditioner and the cold? It's usually around 67-70 in my place. Whenever I shower I always take him in the bathroom with me so the humidity will help him breath better

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
What shots and antibiotics? Sounds like whatever they were, they weren't the right one. Usually Rhintracheitis (Herpes) gives a clear discharge, but sometimes they can get a secondary bacterial infection. The longer you let that infection continue the more chance of chronic infection due to damaged sinuses...so worth putting effort in now to fix the issue!

Do you regularly clean the air-conditioner? Might be worth looking into?

ammcelhaney

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not home right now so I don't have the paper with the shots on it :( but I do remember that the drops I had to give him were amoxicillin which helped a lot. I'm just concerned with the sneezing and stuff! Maybe I'm just being a worry-wart! lol. The AC unit was cleaned the end of summer last year. I just find it odd that it started all of a sudden.hopefully it's just a virus that will pass