Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

USDA/APHIS Rules

admin

Paige
Staff member
Sadly, the unintended consequences of many pieces of social legislation fit this description. I am always curious why those who propose / support such bills think those who don't follow laws already on the books will somehow become law abiding citizens on passing of these new ones. I also wonder what mysterious fund will be used to enforce these laws. I will take a look at the waiver or exemption language more closely, wonder if that might contain a potential Achilles heal...

So true, Becki - thanks for taking a closer look!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I couldn't read the article, but it doesn't sound good :( What goes into getting a licence? Is it a lot of extra expense?

It is not the cost as much as the impossibility of complying. The regulations for a USDA license means that no longer would you be able to keep your breeding females as household pets, nor could you raise your kittens in the house. They would need to be housed in appropriate caging that can be disinfected on a regular basis. Things like that mean that the kind of breeders you should WANT to purchase from cannot continue to operate. You will be able to buy from large-scale operations because they are already raising kittens in caged settings and fully USDA-compliant already. But the home-based breeder is not going to be able to get those licenses, their homes won't qualify.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
It is not the cost as much as the impossibility of complying. The regulations for a USDA license means that no longer would you be able to keep your breeding females as household pets, nor could you raise your kittens in the house. They would need to be housed in appropriate caging that can be disinfected on a regular basis. Things like that mean that the kind of breeders you should WANT to purchase from cannot continue to operate. You will be able to buy from large-scale operations because they are already raising kittens in caged settings and fully USDA-compliant already. But the home-based breeder is not going to be able to get those licenses, their homes won't qualify.

Thanks for the info Brigitte. It is unfair that the good breeders suffer for BYB. It seems backwards to me that they would want the animals caged...like we are going backwards in treatment of animals instead of forwards.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
I don't see how this is even enforceable. Unless the agencies come across the "mills", or a disgruntled buyer files a complaint, they will not have the time, $, or personnel to enforce it. Sue

Trish Allearz

I don't see how this is even enforceable. Unless the agencies come across the "mills", or a disgruntled buyer files a complaint, they will not have the time, $, or personnel to enforce it. Sue
But that's it- Sue- they'll let the animal fanciers gorge upon themselves. One breeder is pissed at another breeder, guess who they call? The USDA to file a complaint and shut the other breeder down! It works right into the HSUS and AR plans...

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
How many large breeders are there in the U.S.? Any idea what percentage of the market they represent for their breeds?

I've noticed that sometimes larger businesses will sponsor bills of this sort to push the small businesses out of the market. Makes me wonder if there is enough money in the market to make that kind of effort worth larger breeders pushing such a bill. I doubt it, but I keep an ear out for stuff like this when checking on the stock market because it is common practice right up there with trademark trolling, patent trolling, and other onerous and questionable activities.

Trish Allearz

How many large breeders are there in the U.S.? Any idea what percentage of the market they represent for their breeds?

I've noticed that sometimes larger businesses will sponsor bills of this sort to push the small businesses out of the market. Makes me wonder if there is enough money in the market to make that kind of effort worth larger breeders pushing such a bill. I doubt it, but I keep an ear out for stuff like this when checking on the stock market because it is common practice right up there with trademark trolling, patent trolling, and other onerous and questionable activities.

In this case, I don't think it's the larger breeders in any breed- they already are rolling in the dough. The average American buyer easily falls for slick advertising and look at any breed- English Bulldogs for example- and the slick websites with the awesome advertising, with dozens of puppies for sale and yet astronomical prices- they're doing just fine. They don't need to push us little Joe Schmoes out of the way.

Good thinking- though- but this time, I am positive it is the AR/HSUS pushing us further and further away from being pet owners.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
I wonder if people in areas that allow livestock would be able to list them as such and avoid the problem. :p

With livestock you can have entire herds or flocks, etc, being bred for various purposes, including as pets and breed stock. Do I think such a trick would work, not in the longrun, however it might throw it back into the ring for another look.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Basically, someone "could" lie to the authorities and pretend they are not breeding cats...but people can and do get caught out. A disgruntled neighbor, an ex-workmate, a ex-friend, a buyer that feels they did wrong... so many ways that when you try to cheat a system, it comes back to bite you. It's really crappy that the USDA will be basically forcing breeding underground for it to continue. Their stated aim is to improve things but the real result of what they are proposing is disastrous :-(