Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

UV filter water fountain

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Unfortunately, Rafiki also got Giardia from Los Angeles tap water. When she tested positive, I did a bit of research and sure enough, the water samples for that month had high levels of giardia. And this is the gift that keeps on giving - she got it and was treated for it but unfortunately she passed it on to Jammu who was nice enough to give it back. Then I had to treat both cats. Joy. :(

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I understand Linda. But kitties do not take into consideration the toxicity of LA water. All they know is they want the taste of minerals in their water. Can't say as I blame them. Not a big fan of bottled water myself. It really does not quench my thirst...

cbain

Site Supporter
Bottled water has very few, if any, minerals in it. Tap water does. They know they need the minerals.
Thanks for the tip Cary , it makes sense and this weekend I will clean the drinkwell and refill it with well water before it goes thru the water softener , we have well water, our Savannah's Thank you , will Cody get more orange from hard water ? Cary DSCN0683.JPG

Last edited:

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Oh man Well water is super. No chemicals. And probably very small amounts of bacteria. Lucky kitties. Water softeners remove all the good for you stuff, and puts sodium in it's place.. just makes your pipes last longer. and makes your skin soft.

cbain

Site Supporter
Oh man Well water is super. No chemicals. And probably very small amounts of bacteria. Lucky kitties. Water softeners remove all the good for you stuff, and puts sodium in it's place.. just makes your pipes last longer. and makes your skin soft.
We have Snow , Marbled , Silver, Melanistic and now the rare hard water rust Savannah , Cody say's hi to Pam Flachs who was close by last week end at the Medina cat show where me and my wife met her and her cats and had a good time.
DSCN0688.JPG

Last edited:

cbain

Site Supporter
We just got this and our cats like it, adj. water flow and very quiet , also I bought extra filters http://www.1800petmeds.com/Drinkwell+360+Pet+Fountain-prod65152-65152.html View attachment 17995
10 months ago I got a drinkwell fountion and it works great except the carbon filters are a little pricey $4.00 a piece for what they are and only last 7 to 10 days with bottle spring water [Deer park brand] before they barely flow. I cut the bottom out of a used filter and left the top in and took a thin piece of air compressor filter, gauze, fine screen, filter from fish tank, ect will work also, add activated charcoal and another piece filter and they hold a lot more charcoal last longer with better flow. The Drinkwell is a good fountain IMO and our Savannahs like it but if I get another fountain I would look close at the Glacier Point due to they sponsor Savannah cat chat. DSCN1339.JPG DSCN1341.JPG

admin

Paige
Staff member
10 months ago I got a drinkwell fountion and it works great except the carbon filters are a little pricey $4.00 a piece for what they are and only last 7 to 10 days with bottle spring water [Deer park brand] before they barely flow. I cut the bottom out of a used filter and left the top in and took a thin piece of air compressor filter, gauze, fine screen, filter from fish tank, ect will work also, add activated charcoal and another piece filter and they hold a lot more charcoal last longer with better flow. The Drinkwell is a good fountain IMO and our Savannahs like it but if I get another fountain I would look close at the Glacier Point due to they sponsor Savannah cat chat. View attachment 19908 View attachment 19909

Thanks Carl! I believe we will have a new fountain sponsor in the near future...stay tuned...

I don't like the drinkwells because they are made in China, otherwise the fountains look nice!

dice

Site Supporter
Pursonelly, I love the drinkwell 360 fountain!!!! Agree that their filters are lacking, but I run it without filter, mainly cause their water source is filtered by one of the best water purifiers available. The Drinkwell works well with out the filter, and allows itself fur easy cleaning. I have two of them and all my cats thoroughly love them.

cbain

Site Supporter
Soon with warmer weather approaching the Savannah's will have access to their pond and they prefer pond water over any other water hard, soft ,spring, distilled , tried everything except sparkling , I have let the cats out in the morning and they pass the fountain with spring water and they head for the pond ??? DSCN0953.JPG