Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What's Your Litterbox Setup?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Talk to a feline behavioral therapist about automated cat litterboxes and they shudder...it definitely seems true that the humans far prefer them compared to how most cats feel about them :-(

As others say, one litterbox per cat.

You might need to trial some litters to see which you prefer AND which the cats will use. My cats use wood pellets just fine. Some would prefer me to use a clumping litter but they will use pellets and I prefer them... if just one objected then I imagine I'd have to consider moving to all clumping litter if they all decided it was preferable.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
I kept reading about covered/top entrance litter boxes, really had me curious! Somebody somewhere said they used a clear storage tub and cut a hole in the locking lid...works great! I have a large litter box full of Tidy cat with glade sitting in that tub...Tigger has no problem with it & since I've learned I'm ALLERGIC to feline pine I'm hoping Eddie can handle the new litter(when he gets here)! Of course Eddies first box will be "normal"...lol.:p

admin

Paige
Staff member
try typing in litterbox or litter box in the search box...you will come up with lots of suggestions

Rafiki

Site Supporter
What is Eddie's breeder currently using for litter? You want to keep the same stuff at least for the transition period.

I couldn't use clay initially as Rafiki kept trying to eat it (and everything else for that matter). Her breeder used horse bedding (similar to the non-clumping, pellet type of feline pine) so I had to keep using that for a good 3 months after I brought her home.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Mine use the litter robot and all love it! I do have several regular boxes as well, but I notice they all use the litter robot but Taj...

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I have the big sterilite containers, no holes as they jump in and out. I have 3, one on each floor. I have to sweep or vacuum around them fairly frequently, but that is ok. I use Cat Attract Litter, I would love to change to a tidy cat or the like but when I have attempted to change, the cats rebelled. I don't like pine litter...I don't like it in my horse stalls either! :)

Lesley

Site Supporter
I have the big sterilite containers, no holes as they jump in and out. I have 3, one on each floor. I have to sweep or vacuum around them fairly frequently, but that is ok. I use Cat Attract Litter, I would love to change to a tidy cat or the like but when I have attempted to change, the cats rebelled. I don't like pine litter...I don't like it in my horse stalls either! :)
We don't use pine in our horse stalls either. Our pickier kitties like the walnut shell litter. The babies think the tidy cat is awesome. Why we have a mix.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I use a variety of huge, tall and/or low Sterilite and Rubbermaid containers for litter boxes, and pine horse bedding pellets for litter ($7.00 for a 40 lb. bag at my local pet store). I feel you can't beat the pine pellets for urine odor control and price, and pine pellet litter tracking is minimal over most other litters. I use washable throw rugs under the litter boxes to help with the tracking. Everyone here uses the pine pellets without complaint, including very young kittens. I offer soft clay litter with Kitten (or Cat) Attract for the babies initially, and they choose the pine pellets over the clay without fail. I also like to change up litter occasionally so no one gets fussy about it and it seems to make it easier for new kitten customers who might prefer another type of litter. I've tried the walnut shell litter when a new boy came here with a large bag, and he preferred the pine pellets immediately. I donated the remaining walnut litter to our local shelter :)

Lesley

Site Supporter
I use a variety of huge, tall and/or low Sterilite and Rubbermaid containers for litter boxes, and pine horse bedding pellets for litter ($7.00 for a 40 lb. bag at my local pet store). I feel you can't beat the pine pellets for urine odor control and price, and pine pellet litter tracking is minimal over most other litters. I use washable throw rugs under the litter boxes to help with the tracking. Everyone here uses the pine pellets without complaint, including very young kittens. I offer soft clay litter with Kitten (or Cat) Attract for the babies initially, and they choose the pine pellets over the clay without fail. I also like to change up litter occasionally so no one gets fussy about it and it seems to make it easier for new kitten customers who might prefer another type of litter. I've tried the walnut shell litter when a new boy came here with a large bag, and he preferred the pine pellets immediately. I donated the remaining walnut litter to our local shelter :)
Is there a brand of pine pellets you use or is it generic?