Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Where do I go from here?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Sounds like you are doing all the right things Laura and also sounds like Echo is getting more curious and venturing out on his own...slow intro is good ;)

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
Just an update. We have made no further progress. In fact, because he can hide under the bed, I can never get near him. Going to block it so he can't get under it. He doesn't cry as much as he use to though.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear this Laura. It may be that this is as good as it gets, but you just never know - one day he may just decide that you are okay and then the bond will begin. He is very lucky to have you, and have a safe and loving home... hopefully he will realize this in time.

admin

Paige
Staff member

Just an update. We have made no further progress. In fact, because he can hide under the bed, I can never get near him. Going to block it so he can't get under it. He doesn't cry as much as he use to though.

Laura, I'm sorry as well...at least he is improving a bit with the crying. I am so happy Echo has you and hope he will figure it all out and warm up to you

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
You just never know. He doesn't sound like he doesn't trust anyone. It seems he does like affection and his own curiosity gets him to enough to venture out. Is there a time you can put the dogs somewhere else and bring him outside the room? Every baby step is a big one for him so celebrate every baby step as something!

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
I'm sorry to hear this Laura. It may be that this is as good as it gets, but you just never know - one day he may just decide that you are okay and then the bond will begin. He is very lucky to have you, and have a safe and loving home... hopefully he will realize this in time.
Take heart Laura---Mickey (my rescued Burmese boy) took a few years to really come around but it was worth the wait. He is so loving and sweet now---but if I had taken him to the pound as some people said I should, he would have been killed as being "unsocialized" and "aggressive". What a waste of a beautiful life that would have been because he is anything but those things now. Just resolve to let it take as long as it takes--after all, he's not going anywhere unless you give up on him so just relax and enjoy him as he is. He'll come around.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I think you should close the door to the room and put the mattress on the floor so he cannot go under it. Taking away his hiding places (except for a crate), will force him to deal with you in one way or another. My guess is he is overwhelmed with the door open and the baby gate the only barrier between him and all the commotion of your house.

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
Then this morning I get up and he's in the front window looking at me like "What? You got a problem?" Silly cat! Still think I need to block under the bed. We have never closed the door and he decided to come out on his own. I hear him every night jump the gate and explore. Once the sun is up, back to his room he goes. He still gets on the bed even when the gate is down, so I think he's just taking his time.

Someone actually told me I was weird because I allowed him to be the way he is, that she would never "allow him to be that way." I just looked at her and simply said "You've never meant him and therefore don't see in him what we do." He's still stuck with us!

admin

Paige
Staff member
LOL, Laura...I'm so glad he was in the window. He is so lucky to have you Laura! Seems that he just needs to take his time and you are letting him, which is wonderful!!!

M

MK Anderson

People are so weird that don't know cats and think they do! Pegie was peeing outside the box a few years ago and someone actually told me to rub his nose in it and smack him. Well, after saying a few choice words to a minister I might add! I asked him if I could do it to him? and then said " The thought NEVER crossed my mind and I would NEVER hit my cats, so know you can get out of my face"!