Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Where do I go from here?

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
Wow, it has been a while sine I've posted or updated! Life has been in session.

Lots of improvements. Echo is doing great! He has become very spoiled and a different cat then he was 2 yrs ago. He's very playful and curious about everything, begs like the dogs, hops up on the couch with me and has even slept with me a couple nights within the last month. Still doesn't care for the dogs but is not scared of them, just prefers not to interact with them but he will sniff them. Follows me around and generally underfoot if he wants something and is out with us all the time often laying within a few feet of where we are. Our bed has become his favorite place to sleep during the day and he is very seldom in his room and prefers ours. He has started coming out when there are others in the house the last couple months and just watches from a distance, but no one can approach him or he runs, but he has approached a couple of my women friends.

I've been able to pet him for almost a year now. Loves his scratches and pets and demands lots of attention. He is finally starting to invite Danny to pet him but we still can't pick him up. Echo and Dolos, our Bengal are best friends.

We have had a couple problems with him urinating in the closet and we are not sure why since his box is kept clean. I think he may need a bigger tote for a litter box because he has grown a little more and become more muscular.

Echo1a.jpg Echo1b.jpg Echo1c11.13.jpg IMG00069-20121214-08381.jpg

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, I think you should try a larger tote and just see...if that fixes the issue then it is because he's bigger and finding the litterbox too cramped. It's a relatively easy fix.

Also make sure you are giving the closet a good enzyme clean and if you can then make sure it is kept closed. If he can't get in there, he can't pee there! LOL!

I'm glad there's been steady improvement :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Wow, it has been a while sine I've posted or updated! Life has been in session.

Lots of improvements. Echo is doing great! He has become very spoiled and a different cat then he was 2 yrs ago. He's very playful and curious about everything, begs like the dogs, hops up on the couch with me and has even slept with me a couple nights within the last month. Still doesn't care for the dogs but is not scared of them, just prefers not to interact with them but he will sniff them. Follows me around and generally underfoot if he wants something and is out with us all the time often laying within a few feet of where we are. Our bed has become his favorite place to sleep during the day and he is very seldom in his room and prefers ours. He has started coming out when there are others in the house the last couple months and just watches from a distance, but no one can approach him or he runs, but he has approached a couple of my women friends.

I've been able to pet him for almost a year now. Loves his scratches and pets and demands lots of attention. He is finally starting to invite Danny to pet him but we still can't pick him up. Echo and Dolos, our Bengal are best friends.

We have had a couple problems with him urinating in the closet and we are not sure why since his box is kept clean. I think he may need a bigger tote for a litter box because he has grown a little more and become more muscular.

View attachment 10439 View attachment 10440 View attachment 10441 View attachment 10442
Echo looks GREAT, Laura! And glad he is coming along so well...just goes to show that with love and patience, these guys blossom...it may take a long time, but definitely worth it...

right now, I am using a 45 gallon tote for Taj because he pees standing up...you may want to try one for Echo!

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
Paige, that's exactly my plan. He sometimes thinks he's in the litter box, but he's not. I've decided to use 45 gal with no lid so they just jump in rather than cutting a hole in the front. It's the best I can come up with.

Brigitte, That's what I've done. :)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I am sooooo delighted for the update Laura! He looks fabulous and you certainly deserve kudos for patient nurturing of Echo. He certainly deserved a better start in life than he got and you earned your angel wings for not giving up on him. I admire you for your perseverance and your compassion and your willingness to love Echo enough to heal him.

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
Deborah, He is such a sweet boy and I know he loves his mama! He really has come so far and he still make strides often and they come quicker. He is pretty confident now. We have more work to go, but he's only about 4 1/2 so we have time.

Getting Dolos was his turning point. When she first came home, he would perk up and watch so intently when she interacted and played with us. He would get a look on his face like "they going to eat her?" then he'd go up to her and make sure she was okay and head butt her. Now, she is pretty small, only about 8 lbs. so he knocks her over when he does it.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I understand completely. Maliik is 3.5 and he still occasionally cringes when I pet him but he continues to make progress. I recently read a book by Carol Guerney, Language of Animals, 7 Steps to Communicating with Animals, and have been practicing some of the techniques on Maliik these past few days. Didn't tell my husband and yet he said tonight that he's noticed a huge difference in Maliik's behavior toward us these past few days -- more calm and accepting -- and asked me what could be the reason. I confessed about trying telepathy and relaxation techniques and after a :rolleyes: he confessed that he believed what I was doing was making a difference.

There are days when I feel defeated and so very sad that after all this time he still keeps so much of himself from us. And then he'll sit beside me on the couch and I'll massage his neck and toes and he starts purring and drooling and it gives me incentive to keep on trying.

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
I will have to check out the book.

Echo loves when I massage his shoulders. Once in a while he'll actually purr, not something he does very often. Well, not that I know of because you can't hear when he purrs but can feel it. He makes up for it in talking. He is really really vocal, and loud. We hold conversations and I swear he knows what I'm saying.