Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Who think this is OK?

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Unethical breeder is offering a "rescue," I'd jump on that for the sake of the kitten.

The road to hell is paved by good/best intentions or however the saying goes!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Unethical breeder is offering a "rescue," I'd jump on that for the sake of the kitten.

The road to hell is paved by good/best intentions or however the saying goes!

This is different, Sunny...but I understand what you mean ;)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I do agree- it would seem that you'd be able to auction an animal and then be able to screen through the applications. It doesn't seem that difficult. BUT- on the flip side, if we are trying (as breeders) to represent to the world at whole that we care for where our babies go- auctions do not send that message at all.

Alice- btw- I've only known of two SV auctions in the past six or seven years. One was not on Facebook and I know where that girl went (and it wasn't through the auction- the breeder pulled it after there was a hue and cry about it)- the other was on FB- and that kitty is safe, sound, and loved, thanks to rescue's efforts.
I don't think it would work to run an auction THEN screen the home. Someone is the highest bidder and THEN you tell them their home is not OK? Then have to screen the next home, etc? Or do you pre-screen all the bidders beforehand?

At the end of it, a kitten is a companion animal and not livestock. We treat our pets differently and they should not go to the highest bidder but placed in the appropriate home.

Yes, the first auction in the SV world was the Savannah Cat Shoppe that announced that on the yahoogroup, to mass outcry so they abandoned that idea I believe. Then Amazing Grace cattery also tried it (with my Nina, who I purchased AFTER we'd convinced her an auction was not appropriate). And the Facebook kitten, Penny... was first won by one guy who gave it to his friend because he was allergic to cats! He only entered because he saw a competition and liked to win things. Then his friend listed the kitten on Craigslist, and this is the one and only time SV Rescue has purchased a kitten... because it was getting shuffled around so fast and was an unspayed female kitten too :-(

It is not an ethical breeder action to auction a kitten or raffle one off. If one wants to sell a kitten quickly reduce its price and most the time then, you likely will get further offers if that is not low enough and you can make your decision that way.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Wouldn't it be better to sell the kitten in a more traditional manner (make sure it is the right kind of home) and the give the cash to the friend to help? Auction seems a very bad idea.

Treywi

April
Wouldn't it be better to sell the kitten in a more traditional manner (make sure it is the right kind of home) and the give the cash to the friend to help? Auction seems a very bad idea.
Was going to say something very similar. Unless breeder sells their kittens for less then the minimum bid there would be no reason they wouldn't get money needed from a normal sale. Sadly I think the worse of people anymore and just see it as a way to get higher amount for a kitten and who really even knows if the money would go to the "friend" for said funeral. But like I said, life and some people makes me think the worse anymore.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Was going to say something very similar. Unless breeder sells their kittens for less then the minimum bid there would be no reason they wouldn't get money needed from a normal sale. Sadly I think the worse of people anymore and just see it as a way to get higher amount for a kitten and who really even knows if the money would go to the "friend" for said funeral. But like I said, life and some people makes me think the worse anymore.

Agree, April...then he said the kitten was an "elite" worth $2000...bids started at $500...to me that was such a crock...if the kitten was worth $2000...sell it for $2000 and give the money to the family - period...but like you said...who even knows what the money was for.

sweetmelly

Savannah Super Cat
Agree, April...then he said the kitten was an "elite" worth $2000...bids started at $500...to me that was such a crock...if the kitten was worth $2000...sell it for $2000 and give the money to the family - period...but like you said...who even knows what the money was for.
That's the part I didn't understand...the "elite" part. But, this dude is so mentally unstable, it amazes me that he is even in this "business". It's a shame, really. The story itself is bad enough, but the person behind it seems very off his rocker. Ugh.