Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Wowza, cat food bill just went up 25%, need wet alternatives

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Sunny, you might want to invest in a meat grinder. I get whole chickens on sale for .79-.89 a pound and grind them. It ends up costing me about $50 a month for 4 cats.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Wish I could, stool issues for the boys and time becomes a factor. Evo 95% will take the bill down to half, that will work nicely until a more cost effective solution to beat that comes up.

A

Alice

There are no stores anywhere close to me that carry their products. I've emailed them to try and find out how I can get their stuff.

For those that have tried it, did your cats like it?
I just found some today at a couple pet stores nearby! Score!!! It looks great... I'll see what my cats think but I suspect they will love it :)

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
Sunny, you might want to invest in a meat grinder. I get whole chickens on sale for .79-.89 a pound and grind them. It ends up costing me about $50 a month for 4 cats.

I did the non grind meet and they love it too. The expensive cat brand raw meet chicken beef and quail - they are not that interested
Any harm in not grinding the meet ?
Cats when they hunt eat it full .

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
No! No harm at all. It's just easier to mix in other things (such as supplements) if it's ground up.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Sunny, what kind of stool issues do they have? Many times a raw diet will cure diarrhea.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Sunny, what kind of stool issues do they have? Many times a raw diet will cure diarrhea.

That is the problem, exactly. I tried for weeks and experimented by withholding the supplements, with and without bone, and unless I partial boil or full boil the time > cost. I don't remember what 2lbs/day cost me aside from the grinder, time, and freezer space.

Weruva was great because it didn't require me to experiment. Both boys took to it a few years ago and I just kept paying the bill, now with the SV and the food bill doubling, I have started to notice. When Isis came home from the plane and car ride, she went right on Weruva meal #1 and has been since.

I hate to change a good thing, but $750 for 2 months is a bit extreme or maybe way extreme. Ordering it online will not save me more than the bulk discount I can get ordering 15+ cases of 5.5oz at a time. Even with canned, I still supplement due to their breeding. Taurine, omega-3, folic acid, 1/4th teaspoon daily.