Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Akila not gaining weight

Akila

Site Supporter
I am so relieved, but still upset that she went so long with the ear infection because no one would listen to me:mad:! She went 3 weeks in pain I’m sure.

Akila will be spayed tomorrow at which time I will reintegrate to the vet how unhappy I am!!! I am still researching new vets!!!

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
That's great news that Akila is back to normal - now she can grow :)
Does she also get off a bit from the picky eating behavior ?

the last 4 day's one of my girls (Hetty) was ill too - she was womitting near the whole time ... after a visit by my vet she goes on MCP treatment - and since yesterday she is better and what she eat - stays in - it is that horrible to see when a little furr baby is ill - i suffered with her too ... but the treatment worked well and she's getting better - a good vet is neccessary he also need to hear what you have to say ... then is the help for the cat better and more precise - the information you can deliver to the vet should be heard - cause you see the behavior change and what the cat is doing while the illness ...

Fingers crossed that you find a trustfull and good vet for Akila ...

Akila

Site Supporter
Akila is at the vet now .....her spay went well, but she has not gained any weight. I weighed her with me on my scale and thought she had gained a pound. When the vet weighed her she still weighs 3 lbs 8 oz. Her blood work is good and she is getting taller and longer, she is just not gaining weight. I am hoping that because she is growing and not losing weight she will start to put on some lbs. now that she is spayed.

I am pretty much at my wits end.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
If she's getting taller and longer then she's definitely growing. You mentioned she's eating better now, I bet you'll see some weight gain soon.

MM3

Site Supporter
Akila does not eat all the food at one time , so I leave it out for a couple of hours.I then dump it and when she wants to eat again I refill her bowl. This is the routine through out the day.
Do you always feed her in the same spot? We just discovered that if we take a hand full of Emma Mae’s dry food and give it to her on her cardboard scratchers she’d gobble it up. It was only a few of her dry food, but she did eat it. Maybe try small amounts and placing them in different areas. You know they don’t like giving in until we tried standing on our head!

Akila

Site Supporter
You are so right about the standing on our heads part:LOL::LOL::LOL:!
A quick update on Akila, she was spayed on Monday the 1st, when they weighed her she still only weighed 3.8 lbs. No weight lose, but no gain either. She was 6 months old on the 26th of September. When I took her in for her initial kitten check they drew blood and told me that her liver enzymes were slightly elevated, but not to worry because it could have been caused from a growing spurt and that she should be rechecked in 3 months ( which will be at the beginning of November). I talked to the vet about ways that I can get more calories in her and she suggested some special milk that she can order, some additives to put on her food, and mirtazapine to increase her appetite.
I am really leery about putting her on medication, but I am also worried about her weight and size.

And suggestions, insight, tricks, would be greatly appreciated.

Akila

Site Supporter
Pictures taken this morning

Attachments

• Akila4.jpg
    Akila4.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Akila5.jpg
    Akila5.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Akila6.jpg
    Akila6.jpg