Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat food research-what to look for

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
ok I wasn't sure if his kibble had everything it has only 10% taurine. but it does seem to be decent kibble. Ok then I will hold off on the supplements until I switch to raw. it's kinda backwards from what I expected. I always saw kibble as the junk food of the cat world and raw as the best way to get vitamins in food. But then again vitamin c is almost impossible to get into their diet naturally because they cannot have citrus and plants aren't really something cats eat a lot of. so I can see where your coming from. I would want to include bone with the diet although I may have to start with slab first until I get a grinder.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You are correct that kibble is considered junk food by many, but just remember that these companies have spent years studying feline nutrition and their goal is to provide an adequate diet that will not spoil overnight, and that will not cost them a fortune to make. So you see cheap additives to get the required nutrients, and preservatives to keep the food from spoiling - these are the things that aren't natural and considered 'junk food'.

If you choose to feed whole prey, e.g., rodents, chicks, etc. then you would not necessarily need a supplement for your raw diet either, although I believe many do just to be safe.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
because the vitamins in plants are injested by their prey? that would make a lot of sense. Good point and its sad I would spend what I needed to on a dry kibble that was perfect and all natural although I think if it existed in this economy they would go bankrupt

Patti

Admin
Staff member
The nature of creating kibble (which is food that is preserved so that it doesn't spoil) is the dichotomy of 'all natural' - however the freeze dried diets that have recently become available may be the next best thing. I haven't tried them yet as they are quite costly, but probably will one of these days.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
They were definatly intriguing although thy averaged to about 5$ per meal, yikes. But it may be worth wile as an emergency backup in the event of not having time for grocery shopping or a special treat if the cat likes them. Perhaps a good substitute if you like taking your pet camping? Most seemed like you rehydrated them with hot water similar to the dehydrated meals I take hiking with me. Defiantly pricey but for rare occasions they may work. especially for those doomsdayers out there