Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cats fights

admin

Paige
Staff member
No.... But I don't know what difference it makes.... RC is RC

Paige
Owner, Savannah Cat Chat
Agato Savannahs
TICA Legislative Committee
SV Breed Section Committee
SV Rescue Coordinator

frances

Savannah Super Cat
Here we have something called Cat Calm , all scents, in spray ,pouch and cushions.
What does RC stand for? Sorry:unsure:

F2bguy

Savannah Super Cat
Is all fighting between two cats not advisable?

The only way I will break up a "fight" is when fur starts flying and tails become huge and puffy. That's a sign that they're pissed off.

I just chalk it up to "playing" and that's how they play?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Playing and fighting are two different things - no reason to break up playtime, but as you say when the fur starts flying it's time to intervene...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

F2bguy

Savannah Super Cat
It's sometimes hard to tell when they're playing and when they're fighting (outside of flying fur).

Could you give me some more examples of what is play and what is a fight?

The little one is very vocal when "rough housing". I have been using the tone and pitch and loudness of his vocals to ascertain "is this normal or not?".

It seems as if the little one instigates the action and chasing throughout the house....despite him being 10lbs lighter and much smaller than the big one. Other times the big one will come looking for action.

The kicker is that both cats eat from the same paper plate in the morning when I give them wet food. I have heard most cats do not do this. Only very rarely will one or the other growl when eating, and the other one backs off immediately.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think the easiest way to tell is by ear position - if the ears are flat against the head that is not play. Deborah has posted a flyer of feline body language before - I'm typing from my phone and at a meeting so can't look for it right now, but perhaps she will post it again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

F2bguy

Savannah Super Cat
Ouch....ok so why would two cats who have known each other since they were kittens get into a fight?

Generally speaking, they get along great. They groom each other, eat together from the same plate (no growling or jockying for position) sleep together curled up and get into trouble together.

I vaguely recall one or both with ears flat against head a couple of fights ago.