Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Diet

Help!! Have two F7 Savannah's 5 months old. Breeder had them on raw when they came to me. Theyve not once had solid stools. I've tried dry, wet and back to raw but nothing works. Have been wormed and stool sample at vets showed up nothing. They've started now pooping on clothes laying around, including bed clothes. Any suggestions. PS I'm in Ireland so may not have food you guys could recommend. Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Thanks so much for all the replies.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Hi John.

We live in Ireland. They're rare enough here and hard to find good food. They came to me on raw with loose poo and that's never stopped. Ideally I'd like to have them on dry food completely as it suits my lifestyle but if it's good for the cats I'm happy. I'll go with cooked chicken and see if that sorts issue short term. Thanks so much for all the advice

Hi Michael,

Did the cats come from somewhere far away, such as the US or outside Ireland? If so, I would suspect it will take some time to get their intestinal flora up to par.

As far as think stinky stools go, a raw diet is what’s the least likely to produce smelly deuces, and dry food the most likely.

How long before they had whole house privileges? My guess is a 2 week single room quarantine may be in order to get them back on track and limit their exposure for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would also recommend cooked (plain) chicken for the next several days, you can even add some rice to help soothe the gut. It can't be a permanent diet because it is not a balanced diet for a cat, but they should have no problems for a few days. You can also add fiber such as psyllium (e.g., unflavored Metamucil) to their food to help bulk up their stool. I also agree with giving them pet specific probiotics. Definitely try to stay away from dry kibble foods for awhile.

Help!! Have two F7 Savannah's 5 months old. Breeder had them on raw when they came to me. Theyve not once had solid stools. I've tried dry, wet and back to raw but nothing works. Have been wormed and stool sample at vets showed up nothing. They've started now pooping on clothes laying around, including bed clothes. Any suggestions. PS I'm in Ireland so may not have food you guys could recommend. Thanks

Try some answers raw goat milk, it is slightly fermented it works wonders on the G.I. tract.

Try some answers raw goat milk, it is slightly fermented it works wonders on the G.I. tract.

Thanks. Waiting on PCR again as suggested by members.

Thanks. Waiting on PCR again as suggested by members.

Hi guys. Sorry again!! PCR has come back negative. No parasites at all. Poos are still stinking and runny. Any advice on next step please?