Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Domestic Wildcats Sells Sick Kittens - domesticwildcat.com - Domestic Wild Cat - Taran Nolan

RBgodzilla

Savannah Super Cat
Please, what do you define as "quality"?

Yes, the kittens are cheap, because they are mixed breed kittens without paperwork, vetting nor vaccinations as they send them out young to avoid that.

The bottom line is that if you purchase from Domestic Wildcats, in most cases you are not purchasing a Savannah kitten as much as a mixed breed kitten that includes Savannah heritage. Big difference, hence the big difference in price. You get what you pay for.

The warnings are there, if you purchase you have nobody else to blame when things go sideways. But please don't imagine you are getting a quality Savannnah. That's not what you are purchasing.

Kittens are not cubs. Breeders that call domestic kittens cubs... well that's a warning in itself.
Wow, well let me explain this a little better since I feel like you guys took this the wrong way.

I'm not saying or defending this breeder saying that their sick kittens are quality. Obviously that would be stupid.

And I wasn't saying I still believe they have quality kittens.....I was hoping they have quality kittens.

I asked the questions and made my comments so I can understand the bigger picture rather than a few people posting their bad experiences (I haven't read all the other comments as WitchyWoman mentioned).

Despite all the helpful advice on here, i can easily say that this forum is full of rude people who are quick to make you feel stupid since the first two comments I received started off that way and, seeing the nature of this thread, your first words are questioning my interpretation of quality.

Well, I'm not going to judge this forum based on a few comments and this is why I asked the questions about the breeder. I'm imagining they have sold many kittens so there must have been some good litters sold and people are happy with their purchase. Like the example I mentioned about this forum, I'd rather not judge based on several comments when overall the negatives might have only been a small portion of the overall experiences. I was just curious if anybody had good experieneces with this breeder....simply for my knowledge.

And I did mention that I am NOT going to purchase from them.

I know I'm the new guy here and I haven't earned anybody's trust or respect, and pretty sure I'll take some heat for this post ,but I needed to make clear the purpose of my initial post.

I will find a good "quality" breeder. Thanks.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I get it...I'm sorry if you felt attacked...but you did say "overall this breeder has quality savannahs for a great price"...hence it did beg the question of what is "quality" to you? if you care about the Savannah breed then you want a breeder that breeds towards the breed standard for Savannahs...if you want a "wild" looking kitten (a their website is geared towards) then this is less important.

This thread is full of lies that these breeders tell, and health issues etc. And I do get that it might not be 100% of the kittens produced, but how many breeders have even a few cases reported where the breeder does not take major steps to improve things. All diseases/defects might happen to any breeder, BUT it is the actions of the breeder afterwards that tells their quality.

There is no excuse for them producing unregistered kittens. Their excuses given to date are bogus. There is no protection of their lines, nobody is that interested as their kittens do not challenge the level of type that other breeders produce. All this does is hide the fact that these kittens are not what they are represented to be.

I dealt with the heartbreak this year, as Savannah Rescue I dealt with the surrender of a kitten that Domestic Wildcats refused to take back. The kitten had been chronically ill since the owner received him, and the foster home had similar issues until the kitten passed and FIP was diagnosed. The breeder chose to attack the breeder rather than accept the diagnosis and Rescue (Chausie Rescue as we decided that the kitten was more Chausie than Savannah) bore the veterinary bills. The buyer of this kitten was enthusiastic about pursuing this through courts but the lack of contract really stymied this. I don't think it will go anywhere.

So please take warning, if you are going to fall for the "bargain" offered then get a signed contract at the very least.

RBgodzilla

Savannah Super Cat
No worries. :) might have been tested way I worded things.

I will definitely take caution and ask as many questions as I can to ensure the breeder I go to is truly taking care of their cats. Money is not a big issue but I don't mind saving a little here and there. Ha ha.

So all the pets I've owned were either bought off friends or rescued and I've only ever received health certs but no pedigree paperwork (probably because I wasn't look for specific breeds, just wanted to take care of the pets). Do breeders normally provide pedigree paperwork? I woyld imagine a good breeder should be able do this easily but i have heard some people prefer doing it themselevs through TICA. if done on your own, what paperwork would you need from the breeder?

And what are Savannah cats classified on the health certificate? Are they called Savannahs or do they have to put something else down?

Thanks for the help.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think you misinterpreted the comments perhaps - I do not think anyone meant to be rude - just we know these breeders well and as Brigitte has stated, some of us have dealt with them through SV Rescue or other people and know their practices. So many of us are pretty passionate about it.

Is it an F2 you are wanting?

admin

Paige
Staff member
No worries. :) might have been tested way I worded things.

I will definitely take caution and ask as many questions as I can to ensure the breeder I go to is truly taking care of their cats. Money is not a big issue but I don't mind saving a little here and there. Ha ha.

So all the pets I've owned were either bought off friends or rescued and I've only ever received health certs but no pedigree paperwork (probably because I wasn't look for specific breeds, just wanted to take care of the pets). Do breeders normally provide pedigree paperwork? I woyld imagine a good breeder should be able do this easily but i have heard some people prefer doing it themselevs through TICA. if done on your own, what paperwork would you need from the breeder?

And what are Savannah cats classified on the health certificate? Are they called Savannahs or do they have to put something else down?

Thanks for the help.
Most breeders supply the TICA paperwork, which you would send in to register your cat. I do believe that is what we are referring to. Usually a 5 gen pedigree can be ordered also through TICA. Savannahs are classified as savannahs :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As Paige says, there is both the registration papers and there is a pedigree... which can either be supplied by the breeder or you can purchase the certified pedigree from the registry, TICA (the International Cat Association).

Yes, a breeder should supply papers even for a pet. It will simply be marked "not for breeding" when sold as pet, which means no offspring can be registered from that cat. Papers are not just for breeding or show cats....and they cost a minimal amount to the breeder to do so.

On any certificate, health or otherwise, they would be called Savannahs. People only put something other than that when attempting to circumvent any laws...which generally ends badly for the cat involved.

RBgodzilla

Savannah Super Cat
As Paige says, there is both the registration papers and there is a pedigree... which can either be supplied by the breeder or you can purchase the certified pedigree from the registry, TICA (the International Cat Association).

Yes, a breeder should supply papers even for a pet. It will simply be marked "not for breeding" when sold as pet, which means no offspring can be registered from that cat. Papers are not just for breeding or show cats....and they cost a minimal amount to the breeder to do so.

On any certificate, health or otherwise, they would be called Savannahs. People only put something other than that when attempting to circumvent any laws...which generally ends badly for the cat involved.
Yeah, i figured the paperwork would be easy to get. I'll make sure I get everything needed.

So I've been looking at more breeders and ran across Amanukats. Couldn't find anything baf about them online. Anybody ever hear or deal with this breeder?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yeah, i figured the paperwork would be easy to get. I'll make sure I get everything needed.

So I've been looking at more breeders and ran across Amanukats. Couldn't find anything baf about them online. Anybody ever hear or deal with this breeder?
What generation are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBgodzilla

Savannah Super Cat
What generation are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for f2. Male or female. I know the male is probably sterile and that's fine. Something big and breeding isn't a big concern but I wouldn't mind if down the road I decided to go that route.

Looking for somewhere in the socal area but if need be I can go with one out of state if is it a reputable breeder.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Beware of anyone who guarantees a big cat beyond the F1 unless they have had several prior litters of the same pairing that have consistently produced large cats, otherwise there is really no way of knowing how they will turn out. There have even been some F1s who have been on the small side.

In general, males will be larger than females, although I have had a few F2 litters where the females have also been quite large. One of those now has two F3 kittens who are about seven weeks old, both girls. One of those girls towers over the other so I anticipate she will be large as well, but as noted above there is no guarantee, especially since this is mom's first litter.