Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Door Dashing

K

Kronos

Kronos has got out twice now :( :(!!! Both times he walked out calmly, in a non-chalant manner, and I was able to scoop him up and get him back inside in 30 seconds or less each time.

I don't let him walk out of the door when we go for walks, but I have been carrying him. I am going to start taking him out in a carrier only from now on.

What can I do to make him not run out the door each time? Well at least for now, he is walking out, but I fear it will soon turn to running out and not letting me catch him.

My other cat, Solo, loves peering out the door, and will take a step on the porch at the most, but does not go further than that. I wish Kronos would do that... but then again Solo does not go for walks, he cannot tolerate wearing a harness.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Door swoopers are dangerous! I lost mine to a HBC. It was tragic. Sometimes it helps to set him up with someone with a hose out the door to spay him in the face if he tries. I have been told a leaf blower works as well but don't have one. If it gets to be a habit, you can build a temporary door with screening or netting so they eventually stop because they don't get anywhere OR actually have a secondary exit. That isn't always possible tho.

K

Kronos

So associate something very scary to him on the other side of the door... that's a good idea. I would love to build a second exit but at this time I live in a townhouse and cannot add outside details like that :(

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Get a very stiff broom (soft ones don't work) and leave it just outside the door he is trying to get out of. Holding the broom, stand outside the door, open it a bit and if he so much as sticks his nose out as if to escape, push him back in firmly with the broom on his chest, saying "NO". Be sure to avoid the face. Repeat as necessary. Keep the broom outside by the door for lapses. This has worked with all my cats for me with great success, except for one....see my posting in "Door-Dasher Deterrent", although I realize you cannot add anything to a townhouse. I agree you should always put him in a carrier before taking him out the door, covering it as well, so he can't see out.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Kronos loves brooms... lol!

Hmm...now that's a problem lol! So does the F3 girl I built my screened in enclosure for...she thought it was a game I was playing with her...the brat! I'd give it a try for Kronos anyway.....or consider the leaf-blower or other noise making device.

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Door swoopers are dangerous! I lost mine to a HBC. It was tragic. Sometimes it helps to set him up with someone with a hose out the door to spay him in the face if he tries. I have been told a leaf blower works as well but don't have one. If it gets to be a habit, you can build a temporary door with screening or netting so they eventually stop because they don't get anywhere OR actually have a secondary exit. That isn't always possible tho.

This made me laugh my one runs outside to the hose to play. He loves chasing the water.

Ours we basically harness in the house. If they run out then no playing outside. When whip runs out though he goes to the hose, or back yard and sits looking at you to play. We however live on 3 acres in the middle of nowhere.

admin

Paige
Staff member
OK, Julie...I'm there, wherever you are. Like Alisha, I live in a townhouse...Pam actually has a very good solution in the link she posted here...there are a couple of door deterrents...this one is the one I prefer: http://www.amazon.com/Contech-StayA...FFN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329336460&sr=8-1

And this one: http://www.amazon.com/Innotek-SSSCA...A95G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1329336460&sr=8-6

And then there is the scatmat: http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-ScatM...TBJ6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1329336460&sr=8-8