Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Has anyone heard of this breeder? Reputation?

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
Who are most breeders? Many of the breeders on this forum breed F5's...you have heard just the opposite here...

As for Drinkwater...have never seen Doreen sell a kitten for less than $17,000...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Oh sorry my bad… I mean if I had 17K (GASP) :eek:

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
Who are most breeders? Many of the breeders on this forum breed F5's...you have heard just the opposite here...

As for Drinkwater...have never seen Doreen sell a kitten for less than $17,000...

morbius

Savannah Super Cat

Admittedly, much of my initial inquiring was to breeders who are NOT involved on this site.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Morbius, I have seen some spectacular F5's on these boards.
What I've learned over the last couple of years on these boards is that the breeding program has seriously advanced since I got my first savannah 9 years ago. The quality of F5's being produced can match the look of my F3's. And when you have had 5 generations to work with, personality and intelligence can easily rise to the top at the later generations. Hang in there. Keep looking.

T

The Kasbah

I'm sure you have spoken to many other Breeders besides me, but just to eliminate any confusion that may have originated from me, my spin on lower generation cats, is that typically, they are somewhat smaller and less dramatic than the F1 and F2 cats...but certainly not any less intelligent! I have had many, many clients tell me that F2s are "easier to live with" than F1s for example and that has held true on down the line... However, Savannahs, regardless of generation are SUPER high energy and devoted to their humans.

I still strongly discourage you from buying another "unbelievably priced" F2 kitten...as you have already seen how THAT works out....it's costly AND painful. :( Sadly, any pedigreed kitten (not just a Savannah) who is being offered for sale at 15-20 cents on the dollar (in comparison to current market pricing) is almost certain to come complete with a few unwelcome and costly surprises. To me, it simply makes no sense to pur yourself through that again...and therefore I encourage you to either as some have suggested, seek out a nonstandard patterned/colored kitten from a reputable breeder who is offering at discount OR start taking a SERIOUS look at some of the F4 and F5 of exceptional quality that are being offered. My guess is taht you will end up with the superior quality F4 of F5 that is sold from excellent Breeding stock and comes with solid heath warranties. In short, I am going on record to recommend a fantastic quality F4 kitten which will allow you to acquire a WOW looking cat and remain within your budget constraints. Using that plan, it would be pretty hard to go wrong!

Good luck!!!

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I cannot speak to the intellegence difference, if any, between F! F2 Or F4 F5, But I know my little F5 SBT Kilifi is one smart little sweetie. And energetic, a hell of a jumper, lover and a heartbreaker. As I get to know Azidi better I am finding F3C 's are pretty smart too. Azidi is EXTREMELY fast moving. She can move faster than any cat I have ever seen. And they BOTH are so pretty spotted babies. And each unique in her own way. The only thing that may be a bit of a drawback, ( although I do not think so ) is the much over rated size difference. Mine are smaller. Kilifi at 14 months. is 8 lbs 11 oz. Azidi at 3 yrs is an estimated 7.5 lbs. (haven't got her on the scale yet) I would say Azidi is petite. But ADORABLE. But even though they are not Big hunks of bruning love, they are still loving Savannahs and as such are those SPECIAL Kitties.

That"s my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Last edited:

admin

Paige
Staff member
I guess one of my questions about PurrectPawz is about being TICA registered...she does not appear to be.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for looking into this for me and doing some investigating. I really appreciate that!

I do believe how you interact with your cat guides how their personality develops.
This may be true to a certain extent but I believe that much of the kitten's personality will already be set by the time they leave for their new home. I will tell you my experience - years ago I brought home two kittesn 11 weeks old. They were both poorly socialized, hissed and hid from me from the moment they walked out of their crates. I spent hours every day for months trying to win them over. Now years later they are still hissy, unsocialized cats. :( This is definitely NOT the norm for Savannahs, but it does speak to what can happen to kittens who come from a less than ideal environment.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm surprised that everybody is saying the F5's are just as good for less money. In my initial investigating, most breeders stated that you are losing the Serval type and activity level when the Fgen drops.
In the 'early days' before we had fertile Savannah males this was true, but now with the repetitive crossing back to Savannahs generation after generation we are bringing more and more type back into the breed. There truly are many very nice looking later generation Savannahs available, particularly those that are SBT, but some C cats as well. One thing I will agree does get lost is size, but that is true of pretty much every generation beyond the F1, in spite of the persistent hype that the Savannah is a large breed of cat.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I guess one of my questions about PurrectPawz is about being TICA registered...she does not appear to be.
Actually, she couldn't register her cattery as listed because there is already a PurrfectPaws and any new cattery must have at least two letters different from any other registered cattery.

However, having a cattery registered with TICA doesn't say much one way or the other - it doesn't speak to the quality or health of the cats/kittens, nor to the ethics of the breeder. And not having a cattery registered with TICA doesn't preclude the breeder from registering their litters with TICA as long as at least one of the parents is also registered with TICA...