Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Immunizations

S

shelby

Why would a breeder vaccinate at 3 days old?
If anyone can give me a reason to vaccinate a kitten at 3 days old...I surely can hardly wait to hear it. I do not think there is a veterinarian practicing that would even consider this. As for deworming at 3 days..no!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I was told that the intranasal vaccines were actually developed to be given to newborns to help fight URI outbreaks in large colonies of chronic carriers, although that is not what the vaccine is now approved for. I do know that there are some breeders who will give intranasal as soon as the eyes open - one drop in each eye and one drop in each nare.

S

shelby

I was told that the intranasal vaccines were actually developed to be given to newborns to help fight URI outbreaks in large colonies of chronic carriers, although that is not what the vaccine is now approved for. I do know that there are some breeders who will give intranasal as soon as the eyes open - one drop in each eye and one drop in each nare.
I WASN'T EVEN THINKING OF THE INTRANASAL. STILL NOT SOMETHING I WOULD BE COMFORTABLE WITH.MINE GET THE FIRST VACCINE AT 9 WEEKS...SECOND AT 12 WEEKS.

S

shelby

I WASN'T EVEN THINKING OF THE INTRANASAL. STILL NOT SOMETHING I WOULD BE COMFORTABLE WITH.MINE GET THE FIRST VACCINE AT 9 WEEKS...SECOND AT 12 WEEKS.
I just reread(I just got up;>)) the post about chronc carriers. Are you talking about feral colonies of cats?

There are so many different versions of what vaccinations sv should recieve and which they shouldn't. A few years ago, I read an article on how we are over vaccinating our pets, and that besides getting yearly rabies, then tri-yearly rabies shots was probably best.

Can anyone shed light on what is really required at minimum for sv (understanding that both local and state laws may impact vaccination requirements). What can truly be harmful to sv, and what is just myth?

Thanks all for your answers in advance :)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
There are so many different versions of what vaccinations sv should recieve and which they shouldn't. A few years ago, I read an article on how we are over vaccinating our pets, and that besides getting yearly rabies, then tri-yearly rabies shots was probably best.

Can anyone shed light on what is really required at minimum for sv (understanding that both local and state laws may impact vaccination requirements). What can truly be harmful to sv, and what is just myth?

Thanks all for your answers in advance :)
I doubt you'll find consensus about this topic and I hope we get some input from Per about the fact vs myth. I don't believe in vaccinations after the 1 yr boosters. My vet said rabies are not required for SVs in Oregon as there are no studies showing that the vaccine provides protection.

My F2s reacted very very badly to their annual boosters for feline rhinotracheitis, calici, and panleukopenia. The vaccines were modified live. Prior to that I insisted on killed vaccines and they still had bad reactions. They had to be on pain medicine for 3 days and refused to move for that long. It was scary. My F6 had no adverse reactions to any vaccines.

Here's something that you may find interesting http://www.holisticat.com/vaccinations.html

I doubt you'll find consensus about this topic and I hope we get some input from Per about the fact vs myth. I don't believe in vaccinations after the 1 yr boosters. My vet said rabies are not required for SVs in Oregon as there are no studies showing that the vaccine provides protection.

My F2s reacted very very badly to their annual boosters for feline rhinotracheitis, calici, and panleukopenia. The vaccines were modified live. Prior to that I insisted on killed vaccines and they still had bad reactions. They had to be on pain medicine for 3 days and refused to move for that long. It was scary. My F6 had no adverse reactions to any vaccines.

Here's something that you may find interesting http://www.holisticat.com/vaccinations.html
Deborah, this supports what I had read in the past about vaccinations. I know the count I live in requires rabies vaccinations and there is not much I can do but follow their requirements. As for the other vaccinations, if there isn't a really strong case for getting them, then I may forgo.

I will get both boys chipped when I get them snipped. I understand there is a little cause for concern with that but not a lot. And to me, well I'll be more comfortable if they are (even in their limited capacity, it is better than nothing)