Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Immunizations

Per Lausund

Staff member
There are advantages and disadvantages: killed vaccines generally do not give a disease reaction, but may give a weaker immune response and do contain adjuvants. Live vaccines do not contain adjuvant, typically give a better immune response but will usually make the kitten show a small disease response some days after vaccination. And there are differences between brands: one breeder I know has Birmans, they react strongly to Nobivac, which is all live, but not to Purevax which has an inactivated calici-component. My own Bengals and Savannahs get either, and have very mild reactions. I will always choose a live vaccine where it is available because of the adjuvants:I don´t like them! (But they are there for a reason)
Talk to your vet, have him (or her) explain to you why exactly that vaccine is being used and what you can expect.

Tyvm for your advice I shall follow it and ask my vet, what is available locally and for him to explain ... I will also research what I can prior on adjuvants.

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
We have always made sure our vet has given ours killed vaccines, even our bengals. i recently talked to a soon-to-be Bengal owner, the breeder was using live vaccines and the kitten died shortly after. (whose to say that there wasnt an under-lying condition or a weak immune system to start with in the kitten )That is all I know though. It honestly could have been a fluke though so not trying to spread any worries. I still feel comfortable with the killed vaccine idea though just because of all the controversy on it but honestly I'm always reading different ideas.

Robo1

Savannah Super Cat
My kitten got his first vet check today...12 weeks...She advised she would like to give him on his next visit, vaccines for Rabies and Lukemia...is that recommended for Savannahs? also, she advised he show mild symtoms, but has felien herpes...symptom is the watering eyes and wiping them...when he was coming home...stressed from car ride and new environment..But he is not showing any other issues now and he does not have the watering eyes or wiping....Vet said he should grow out of it as he gets older...In the sense that the symptoms will not show and he should be ok, unless he gets stressed, then he might show signs , ie- watering of the eyes..Any thoughts...?

Per Lausund

Staff member
My kitten got his first vet check today...12 weeks...She advised she would like to give him on his next visit, vaccines for Rabies and Lukemia...is that recommended for Savannahs? also, she advised he show mild symtoms, but has felien herpes...symptom is the watering eyes and wiping them...when he was coming home...stressed from car ride and new environment..But he is not showing any other issues now and he does not have the watering eyes or wiping....Vet said he should grow out of it as he gets older...In the sense that the symptoms will not show and he should be ok, unless he gets stressed, then he might show signs , ie- watering of the eyes..Any thoughts...?
ooops!
How about finding a vet that knows cats?
That was my first reaction, I may be out of line, here, but still...
Yeah, lots of kitties have feline herpesvirus, but hopefully not all the ones with somewhat watery eyes. And did nobody mention calici-, rhinotracheitis- and penleukopeniavirus vaccines?
:(

Robo1

Savannah Super Cat
My wife took him today...so , I get second hand info..."nobody mention calici-, rhinotracheitis- and penleukopeniavirus vaccines?" what should I know about that? he already had his first 2 sets of vacinnes prior to us geting him...

Per Lausund

Staff member
My wife took him today...so , I get second hand info..."nobody mention calici-, rhinotracheitis- and penleukopeniavirus vaccines?" what should I know about that? he already had his first 2 sets of vacinnes prior to us geting him...
All right! So then the basics are taken care of. Which makes an offhand diagnosis of feline herpes (rhinotracheitis is one) even more strange.
p

Jeni

Aniyah's mommy
Aniyah's left eye watered for about the first 24 hours we had her. She flew for 7 hours (including changing planes and layovers) and then we drove for 5 hours from the airport home. It cleared up by the time I took her to the vet for her health check, which was 48 hours later. I did ask the vet if her eyes looked okay and it had cleared up so much he said unless it started up again that it more than likely was the stress from the traveling. Never had it happen again and never had the vet tell me it could be herpes???