Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kovu Swinging from Blinds

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Is that Kovu's roll of toilet paper by the chair that he is going to shred later ?
Nyah actually stole that. The cabinet where they are stored has been savannah proofed because she would open it and help herself. Now she has gotten crafty and waits for me to open it, leaps in, snatches a roll and runs. How do you take it away after that much effort? Of course only savannah people would share a video of their room with a roll of toilet paper on the floor and think nothing of it!

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
They certainly save on energy costs, both heating and cooling, significantly. But yeah i Had a whooper of a bill replacing all the windows in my 2 story.
The entire back side of our house is sliding glass doors so you can open the whole thing up, it was built before they made those folding door/ windows you see on hgtv, but same concept. There are 2 sliding glass doors in our room upstairs that lead to a porch off the room, and the same deal in the other bedrooms to their own porch. Our house was custom built by an architect with very heavy mid century modern leanings, so very open and a lot of glass. Anyway, the people we bought the house from replaced every single sliding door, totaling 9, with pella doors right before our purchase. They didn't get the built in blinds, though. I am glad they did the replacing and not us even without the blinds. I have wooden vertical blinds on the downstairs. They just make lots of noise when the cats use them as weaving poles, but no damage yet!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
This whole discussion has me thinking that we need to expand our list of what to do when bringing home an SV -- not just the stuff to keep a baby safe but things like: remove all window coverings, roll up carpets, pack away all breakables, in effect, empty the house of all belongings that you don't want to see become a toy or scratching post.

John Popp

Site Supporter
hmmmm, well I already have everything removed and just need to figure out the best stuff to put back in.

BTW, We had already decided on Andersen windows, but I think we will revisit the Pella showroom as the built in blinds make too much sense.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
hmmmm, well I already have everything removed and just need to figure out the best stuff to put back in.
When it comes time to replace our bitten & shredded furniture, I am seriously thinking cement. Like the built in stuff you sometimes see in Pueblo style design. Or maybe I'll have everything custom made and wrapped in sisal:big grin:

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
This whole discussion has me thinking that we need to expand our list of what to do when bringing home an SV -- not just the stuff to keep a baby safe but things like: remove all window coverings, roll up carpets, pack away all breakables, in effect, empty the house of all belongings that you don't want to see become a toy or scratching post.
In summary, just empty out everything you own and utilize plastic lawn furniture. ;)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
In summary, just empty out everything you own and utilize plastic lawn furniture. ;)
I'm sure there are interior decorators who would take on the challenge of making lawn furniture look chic. SV owners could be a boon for the plastics and metal industries. All products could bear the label "SV tested, owner approved":cool:

John Popp

Site Supporter
When the adjuster came through our home to list out our personal property she made a point of singling out a chair that had been expertly shredded. The only reason it hadn't been thrown away is that in it's former life it was a studio prop and had about 6 different covers on it. We had pulled the top one off so we could return it to a decent looking piece of furniture, but beneath existed the greatest scratching post that a cat ever knew.