Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Naming Your SV

D

Dantes

I really struggled with my Duma's name. I previously had two cats named after Disney: Belle (Beauty & the Beast) and Simba. Simba was my bestest buddy of all time, and his death from cancer really hurt. So I started out wanting to commemorate him and went through every Lion King name I could think of...but mostly liked the girls' names, which would not do at all for a boy! So then I started to go through African names...boys' names...names that start with S...nothing hit me.

But before I got Duma I had ragdoll Dante(s) (see my signature at the moment), whose name I had been saving for forever, it has a whole lot of meanings, one of which is for a singer named Dantes whose nickname is "Ricky Ricon" (his famous song goes "all the girls in love with him raise your hand!" and of course all the girls swoon lol) anyway, the double entendres in the song if you speak spanish are pretty funny

But Dante is also named after the Count of Monte Cristo (Edmund Dantes), and a General Hospital character who he actually resembles lol, plus he has a Diamante (mush the letters and it becomes Dante) which is actually a blaze down his nose.

Anyway, getting back to Duma, around the same time I got him I also got a roommate who said we just *had* to watch this movie, she would get it from her mom. Of course the movie was Duma...which coincidentally is almost the name of the writer of Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas, and is somewhat related to Simba and is an african name for a cat/cheetah...he seemed to like it, so I haven't looked back. Even though Duma doesn't really have a song, and you know every cat needs a theme song, I usually sing this song, substituting Duma for Louie. I'm not sure why, but Duma seems to like it lol

Wow, I'm obsessed with my cats' names!

I never rarely use African names, mostly based on whatever my daughter is into at the time or current events. When my daughter was 3 I started in Savannahs, we had Kovu and Kiara from the Lion King. Now she is a teenager and we have kittens named after Beatles songs, Lovely Rita, Dear Prudence or characters in whatever play she happens to perform in (Tiger Lily and Wendy N Wild from Peter Pan). Firework was named after a Katy Perry song, we had an entire Lady Gaga litter a few years ago, Bad Romance, Poker Face, Love Game and Paparazzi. My latest keeper girl is going to remain Beatles themed - Sexy Sadie.

admin

Paige
Staff member
When I was a baby, my father had two boxers named Pride and Warrior...one of those names may find its way to my next show kitten (wherever he may be) ;)

D

Dantes

Uh, ya think - LOL!!! Louie, Louie - cool song!!!
Well it's not like nobody else is, I mean, TS Elliott has a book all about it, not to mention the play...

If I had four cats I'd certainly name them John Paul George and Ringo! and if I had a 5th, Billy (or maybe Stuart, Pete, or Brian depending on the mood)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well it's not like nobody else is, I mean, TS Elliott has a book all about it, not to mention the play...

If I had four cats I'd certainly name them John Paul George and Ringo! and if I had a 5th, Billy (or maybe Stuart, Pete, or Brian depending on the mood)
Very true...I am as well...I remember searching for days for Taj's name.

D

Dantes

And no offense was meant...I was just joking around...
None taken...or better yet, I didn't even think of it that way, since I'm the one that pointed out noticing how obsessed I am. I mean, to be honest, I started thinking of music terms to begin with, but they all sounded girlie. (Lyric, Cadence, Andante--which is another reference to Dante and his song is Abba's Andante Andante, etc)