Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

needing advise

Happy, you make very good points. I do work long hours; 12ish. I have a body shop and getting out for a couple minutes is possible but can't get away for very long, that is why I was thinking of screening in the doors with some sort of netting. Keep the bugs out when the sun goes down too.
I have read and seen pictures of the cats inside. I find it hard to keep animals locked up all day long. That to me is a prison sentence for an animal. They are bred to run and play, how can they run when they are locked up? I'm from a town of about 2000 people. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone's business is their business too. I don't lock my house when I'm not there I never remove the keys from my vehichles EVER. I thought the cat could run for a couple hours aday just like every other farm cat or house pet people have in this town. I get that they are a bunch of cash but I believe that cat would be safer here than many many other places because EVERYONE would know it. I have also read they bond so well with one or two people I just assumed it wouldn't go anywhere. All of my other cats came home.
Please don't take offense to what I wrote It's the truth as to how my thought process was. That's why I'm here asking questions. I do thank you fo bringing ideas to my attention. I'm kinda wondering if this is the right pet for me. They might require more attention than I am able to give.
I like the idea of an slightly older cat. NEVER gave that a thought at all. Great idea.

admin

Paige
Staff member
OC, glad you are here asking questions and believe me, no one takes offense. People may have strong opinions, but it is never personal.

You can get two savannahs...you can play with them in the morning or evening...you can get a retired adult or cat that needs rehoming...lots of things you can do. Usually two are better than one anyway, unless there is a savannah that needs to be king or queen of the roost, which sometimes happens.

marilyn, the Cat Coach will be available for questions from May 1 through May 8th and you may want to ask her about this.

HappyS

Savannah Super Cat
I read your post twice to make sure but I can't find in any way why your post would be offensive! :) I just hate raising some potential issues that may give concern to getting a Savannah as you seem like a person who loves and cares for their cats!

My personal opinion: I feel that even in your small tight community situation it wouldn't be the best idea to let them run free. Some pets just don't come back home and there's no guarantee that someone won't accidentally run them over or mistake them for a wild animal.

Random story: our local university went crazy and called the police, animal control, news outlets, emergency warnings etc. at a cougar sighting on campus years ago. It was later found to be a large Savannah cat. That Savannah left home and just never went back. The only Savannah that was reported missing was hundreds of miles away.

Trish Allearz

I think 99 percent of people who let their cats go indoors/outdoors have the 'best of intentions'. The thing is- those intentions will not stop a car or a truck. They won't stop the neighborhood dog. They won't stop cat fights and they won't stop neighbors who put out pesticide or other ickies in their gardens. It won't stop your cat from licking up antifreeze from a patch on the ground- animals love it because it's sweet and it will decimate your cat- you won't have a cat after that.

My home with 2 F6s is a military guy and he works a lot. BUT he has a room devoted to the kittens and he knows that if he needs to leave town, I am more then willing to babysit my grandkittens. I think any pet- besides one in a tank- will require a lot of interaction if you work full time and no one else is home and they don't have anyone to play with. If two Savannahs is a bit much- money-wise (which it can be!)- then think of a Savannah and a local rescue kitty...

Your posts are not offensive- btw- they are well thought out from your point of view :) My point of view- I did rescue of normal kitties for over ten years and also spent time as a vet tech. I've seen a lot of ugly, horrible things from owners letting their cats out of doors without supervision (or not in an enclosure- I love enclosures!).

MasternMargo

Savannah Super Cat
I don't think higher generation necessarily is a guarantee of a big cat. I have F2s, male and female, from the same litter. Male is shorter, but bulkier, 16 lbs at 2 y.o. Female is much taller, very skinny and is about 17 lbs. I've been keeping up with AJSavannahs on their facebook. They usually get some biiig kitties, I guess just runs in blood or something. One of their cats, Hurvey is 35 lbs! Really, check those guys out if you are looking for a big, beautiful and very socialized cat. And yeah, bug screen is not gonna stop them from getting out, but enclosure or walking on a leash is a great idea, they love it!

MasternMargo

Savannah Super Cat
Savannahs are very curious cats. They are also very skittish, more so than usual cats. I've watched Margo many times being a 30 feet away from our house, but when a motorcycle goes by or something loud happens near by - she runs for safety and often...to a wrong house. What I'm trying to say is that savannahs are different, I really think they can simply be scarred away from your home. You can make your home a good place for them to play, if planned well. We built a cat tower for them, extra shelves up high for "observing", take them for walks...We are at work 10-12 hours a day too, but they keep one another entertained. The only issue we have is when we are leaving town we have to get a "babysitter" for them, because we feed them raw. When they were little we'd just feed them in the morning and leave a frozen packet of chicken for later. It'd thaw out by afternoon, they eat it, then we feed them when we get home again. But yeah, if you love cats, you'd not want another pet after savannah. They are most loyal, intelligent, sensitive animals.

Trish Allearz

Savannahs are very curious cats. They are also very skittish, more so than usual cats. I've watched Margo many times being a 30 feet away from our house, but when a motorcycle goes by or something loud happens near by - she runs for safety and often...to a wrong house. What I'm trying to say is that savannahs are different, I really think they can simply be scarred away from your home. You can make your home a good place for them to play, if planned well. We built a cat tower for them, extra shelves up high for "observing", take them for walks...We are at work 10-12 hours a day too, but they keep one another entertained. The only issue we have is when we are leaving town we have to get a "babysitter" for them, because we feed them raw. When they were little we'd just feed them in the morning and leave a frozen packet of chicken for later. It'd thaw out by afternoon, they eat it, then we feed them when we get home again. But yeah, if you love cats, you'd not want another pet after savannah. They are most loyal, intelligent, sensitive animals.
See- and I'd say that Savannahs are NOT more skittish then normal cats (is there such a thing? LOL). JMHO :)