Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please help

John Popp

Site Supporter
X-rays did not show a thing. We had a ultra sound done and discovered the blockage after 3 days of not eating. Surgery was performed immediately. Cat is now 3 years old and going strong. This is what was found. It's the cover fabric of a toy mouse. She ate it. I thank John Popp for discussing with me his adventure with a bowel obstrucion that did not show up on an x-ray, but on an ultrasound.
View attachment 27903
Oh joy, I was the king of obstructions there for a bit and also was spending days at a time examining litter boxes to see if I could reassemble what ever my chewer boy had eaten. Fortunately, he’s turned the corner on his pics issues and we know the one thing his brother just can’t help himself from eating.

Sorry I didn’t respond to the other message, but it looks like this is pretty well covered. Glad to hear your cat is doing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too bad that the toy makers don't use a radio opaque fabric on all toys.
Or better yet, if there was cat toys were made up unappetizing but digestible materials! Unfortunately if HB likes a toy, it means he wants to eat it, and if he doesn’t want to eat it, he isn’t interested. A product that needs to be invented!
Glad Vito seems to be improving!

Vito

Site Supporter
Or better yet, if there was cat toys were made up unappetizing but digestible materials! Unfortunately if HB likes a toy, it means he wants to eat it, and if he doesn’t want to eat it, he isn’t interested. A product that needs to be invented!
Glad Vito seems to be improving!
There would definitely be a market for that fingers crossed Vito stays that way, he's always been raw fed, but past few days, on vets advice, he said to avoid raw, however I'm sure he is craving his raw now, do you think it safe to start giving him again? You know what vets are like, I actually felt I was being told off when I said Vito ate raw, but he is really thriving on it.

I have very little experience with raw feeding, so can’t really advise on that, but I also got “The Lecture” from both the main local vets against this. Which is really annoying when it takes a bunch of appointment time that you needed to discuss something more important. I am pretty sure more raw fed cats have been harmed by vets getting distracted giving “The Lecture” and not giving enough time to the real problems, then cats being harmed by occasionally picking up some microbes from the raw food. I think vets are required to let their clients know they do not approve, by the veterinary bodies that over see them, and may even be scared of getting sued if they don’t. But it does make it really difficult to get good reliable information on raw and when it may be inappropriate...

Vito

Site Supporter
I have very little experience with raw feeding, so can’t really advise on that, but I also got “The Lecture” from both the main local vets against this. Which is really annoying when it takes a bunch of appointment time that you needed to discuss something more important. I am pretty sure more raw fed cats have been harmed by vets getting distracted giving “The Lecture” and not giving enough time to the real problems, then cats being harmed by occasionally picking up some microbes from the raw food. I think vets are required to let their clients know they do not approve, by the veterinary bodies that over see them, and may even be scared of getting sued if they don’t. But it does make it really difficult to get good reliable information on raw and when it may be inappropriate...
Yes it's a difficult issue I find, Vito really loves his raw, but he does eat occasional dry(its always available as other 3 non savs eat it) also likes cooked meat and the odd wet food. Was always picky with food but loved the introduction to raw and prefers it. (supplements given) This was actually one of the reasons I changed vet as was always being lectured on the dangers of raw feeding. I always prepare it in the most hygienic circumstances . Now the current vet seems to think he may have gotten the GI from eating raw. I know my boy is craving it and tempted to start feeding it again. We've never had any issues before.
I'm in a quandary to be honest, at the end of the day, I just want what is best for him.

Sean

Site Supporter
I got that talk also with my first two Savannahs. I don't go to that vet anymore. The vet I switched to agreed that raw is good.
He also had a lot of zoo vet time in his background and was the vet of choice for the breeder I got Bella from. Even after he retired
the vet that took over the clinic has never given me so much as a blink when I say raw. But I do feed a mixed raw and kibble.
That way if there is ever an issue I can feed one or the other and no turned up noses.

Vito

Site Supporter
Hi everyone
Just a wee update on Vito, after yesterday everything started to look positive and we seemed to be going towards the right direction, but I'm afraid today we are back to square one.
Not eating, although it seems he wants to, quite subdued and not himself again. Lost a bit more weight since Saturday. He's scheduled to go into hospital first thing in the morning to have bloods, X-ray's and possibly get a scan. Something's definitely not right, here's hoping it's as simple as a foreign object and it can be scoped.
So very worried and stressed out, I shall keep you posted as to the outcome, trying to remain positive.
(MORE NEWS) vito has been admitted to hospital tonight, he's had to be put on fluids , he seemed to deteriorate this afternoon, could everyone in our Savannah community keep your fingers crossed for little Vito.

Last edited: