Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please help

Vito

Site Supporter
Thank goodness they found the problem and have been smoked to treat him! I'm glad to hear he's back home and ravenous, it must be wonderful to have Vito back again! :in love:
Oh yes Patti indeed it is, he's not easiest boy to medicate so our vets gave him two anti inflammatory injections to last right over weekend until follow up on Tuesday, that along with the bland gastrointestinal diet should hopefully reduce the inflammation.
Vet was fantastic, the man really seems to know his stuff. Poor Vito looks a sorry sight, all his belly fur shaved off along with his legs and throat. But hey, they could have shaved him bald, I wouldn't have cared, as long as we got our baby back he slept in bed with me all night and snuggled.

Vito

Site Supporter
Hi everyone
Well as you know, Vito was very poorly last week, (worrying time is an understatement) and after X-ray's and scan, the vet found inflammation in the small intestine, no foreign bodies could be seen, so it was concluded that he is suffering from enteritis. Anti inflammatory injections were given and change to a bland diet advised for the meantime.
All has been going well, and things are looking positive.
However this evening, Vito went to the toilet, and as I've been meticulously examining his number twos, I was shocked to see something strange in the poo.
After the glorious task of disecting I discovered a piece of ribbon, 12 inches of it to be exact. I'm assuming this has been the culprit of all the upset. Also don't know how long it's been there for. I've posted a photo below. Here's hoping the wee lad will continue to get better now. Have any of you guys had anything similar happen with your fur babies?
Needless to say, the whole house has been scoured for anything that Vito might chew. Still have no idea where he got hold of this ribbon.

Attachments

Not sure how they missed that. Unfortunately sometimes you need a full on radiologist to look at the xrays or ultrasound. You generally only find these in larger specialty practices with lots of board certified vets. It’s a crap shoot, pun intended and I’ve had to dissect my share of dung.

Glad Vito is doing well and isn’t tied up any longer with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vito

Site Supporter
Not sure how they missed that. Unfortunately sometimes you need a full on radiologist to look at the xrays or ultrasound. You generally only find these in larger specialty practices with lots of board certified vets. It’s a crap shoot, pun intended and I’ve had to dissect my share of dung.

Glad Vito is doing well and isn’t tied up any longer with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I'm a tad puzzled too, but hey, it's out now thank goodness. Ps/ I have weights on Vito from 4 months to present 9 1/2 months, or is it older Savannah weights your collecting.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Thank goodness Vito was able to pass that ribbon, that can be sooo dangerous! I had a kitten once who swallowed dental floss. It actually wrapped around the back of her tongue and then passed down into her small intestine. Initially the vet was unable to find a problem but when they looked deep into the back of her throat they could see it. $5000 later she had 11' of small intestine cut out of her that had 19 holes in it where the flo's had cut through her. She was on antibiotics for weeks but made a full recovery.

I have to spray the trash can in my room with Bitter Yuck as Bella likes to pull things out and chew on them. She has this
thing for plastic. She finds things even after I hare removed all the plastic I can find. One of her loves is Ziplock bags.

I gave in and moved all the bags into a place she can't get into as of yet.

Vito is a very talented cat. Leaving ribbon wrapped presents in the litter box. I'm relieved that it passed without any damage. I hope you discuss with your vet. If they kept a copy of the scan and x-ray it would be interesting to see if the vet sees it on second review now that he/she knows it was there.
Hi Witchy
I'm baffled as to why it didnt show up in X-ray and scan, going to phone vet, took photo to email to him. Vito is running around like crazy horse this morning a and his appetite is back with gusto.
Still keeping to the bland diet for just now, at least until any inflammation is gone.

Thank goodness Vito was able to pass that ribbon, that can be sooo dangerous! I had a kitten once who swallowed dental floss. It actually wrapped around the back of her tongue and then passed down into her small intestine. Initially the vet was unable to find a problem but when they looked deep into the back of her throat they could see it. $5000 later she had 11' of small intestine cut out of her that had 19 holes in it where the flo's had cut through her. She was on antibiotics for weeks but made a full recovery.
Hi Patti
Your absolutely right, it could have caused so much damage to his innards, I'm glad your wee girl recovered too, 19 holes, my goodness!
That was a hell of a vet bill. Vito's vet bill was £1200, luckily his insurance will cover. So glad I took it out.