Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Cat Eyes

admin

Paige
Staff member
I thought this may be a good time to do a bit of savannah cat education so we can all get up to speed on the Savannah Cat Standard. Please post photos of just eyes here, so we can critique and learn. The eyes do not have to belong to your cat...

The Savannah Breed Standard for Eyes is as follows:

Medium sized and set underneath a slightly hooded brow. The top of the eye resembles a boomerang set at the exact angle so that the corner of the eye slopes down the line of the nose. The bottom half of the eye has an almond shape. The eyes are moderately deep set, low on the forehead, and at least one eye width apart. Tear stain markings are present along and between the eye and the nose. All eye colors are allowed and are independent of coat color. Magnificant-Savannah-eyes-web.jpg

Trish Allearz

Just so you aren't afraid- you are criticize either of these :) I won't be hurt.

Plus- remember with eyes and ears, it can hard to get a great picture of either or depending upon the cat and their mood.

First is an SBT Savannah adult- her eyes are too round and too big for sure. You are totally missing the boomerang up top- She actually had decent hooding, although you won't see it in this picture.

Second is an SBT kitten- I like her eyes better. They are smaller, a better shape, but could still use some work.

Attachments

• eyes.jpg
    eyes.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 27
  • eyesannie.jpg
    eyesannie.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 25

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Not sure how my guys do on eyes. I'm bad at understad the standards.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332864816622.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332864816622.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 30
  • uploadfromtaptalk1332864825059.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332864825059.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 31

Trish Allearz

One of the easiest things to see in eyes, Julie, is the boomerang on top and the almond bottom. The second upload, it looks like that kitty has a lemon shape to his eyes- for lack of a better word. The boomerang is more extreme in shape, IMHO. The first upload is not a good angle to judge- you want the cat looking right at the camera.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Just so you aren't afraid- you are criticize either of these :) I won't be hurt.

Plus- remember with eyes and ears, it can hard to get a great picture of either or depending upon the cat and their mood.

First is an SBT Savannah adult- her eyes are too round and too big for sure. You are totally missing the boomerang up top- She actually had decent hooding, although you won't see it in this picture.

Second is an SBT kitten- I like her eyes better. They are smaller, a better shape, but could still use some work.

yes, the second one is better...but the standard calls for medium eyes, which is why I don't understand the "small" eyes some people keep mentioning...I will post some in a bit...

Trish Allearz

Her eyes weren't large though- at least, I don't think they were... Here is the full photo. I do think they could be a bit smaller, but don't think they are too bad.

Attachments

• dream0829.jpg
    dream0829.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 28

Trish Allearz

And I think some are thinking that smaller is simply 'better'. I guess it depends on what you see as small. The first pic is CindyLou- I think her eyes are HUGE- they eat up her whole head (hahaha). Second is of Dream- I think they are moreso the medium size in comparison. Looking at my Serval pic on my wall, I can see why people are drawn to small- but in the rings, it seemed like judges were tossed-up on whether they thought smaller was better or not.