Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The Royal Rumble of cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I don't think quarantine means opening the door in three days...it means keeping the door closed and letting the other cats smell the new kitten from beyond the door...that may be where part of the problem came from...

I'm not sure what kind of comments you were looking for... You can't just expect to post you have 2 main issues with your kitten and not expect people to ask questions and try to get at the facts...that is the only way we can help.

Here is your first issue: "So to get to the main issues... I have 1 and my husband has 1. My issue is more concerning then his. The problem is that 2 of our other 3 cats want to kill her. As soon as they she her it's like a royal rumble. We have to break them up. Jazzy just runs and hides under the kitchen cabinets or jumps on the kitchen counter because the 2 cats that attack her are to fat to jump up onto the counter. Now I'm use to this kind of behavior because every time I brought a new kitten home they went through a battle period, but these battles are much horrible then I've ever seen. I know it takes time, but in the mean time is there anything I can do to help them along?"

You say that "2 of our other 3 cats want to kill her..." put yourself in our shoes...we are all cat lovers here and specifically savannah cat lovers and worshippers...how are we supposed to react to that statement? You didn't say it was just one cat...you said it was two. So we felt so sorry for the kitten who is being attacked...you called it "attack of the killer cats"

You said your husband doesn't trust her because of the panting noises...now I know what you are referring to, once you explained further...all cats do that...especially when smelling something new or other cat or dog scents...it was difficult to tell what you meant.

It sounds like this was somewhat of a misunderstanding and hopefully all will work out for everyone involved. it does sound as though you love Jazzy and want what is best for her.

Just know that this is a savannah loving community and we take that very seriously, so if it appears that people are a bit harsh, it is only out of love and concern for our wonderful breed.

S

shelby

I actually read the post as everyone that posted did. I think we sometimes have a lot of questions and they get all jumbled and can be taken the exact opposite of the way they were meant to be taken. After talking with you it was a big relief for me to know that Jazzy is not the problem child;>) I knew from her sleeping with Corey and the games she was playing with him that something must have happened since we last talked. You have kept your promise of keeping me informed and sending pictures......I love it;>)I do think you have patience and she is fine, but...you do need some help in calming miss fat cat down;>) I am sure there are many on this forum that will offer other ideas on how to get the other cat to better adjust to Jazzy. There is a lot wisdom here and I am sure there is a fix to the problem . Just read, listen and try the suggestions. Sometimes there is a bully in the bunch for whatever reason. Believe me you can teach an OLD CAT NEW MANNERS;>) I will give you any ideas I HAVE..I GAVE YOU A FEW ALREADY. Fussing among themselves is somewhat normal as long as there is no fighting. A cat fight is ugly and someone will end up getting hurt. Thank you for making me better understand your post. Now let's work on getting these babies to accept the new kid on the block. Ask those questions and let us all know how they are coming along;>)

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
Dawn, I see that we may have misunderstood your dilemma, but please re-read what you wrote. Can't blame us for being very concerned about the kitten:

"The problem is that 2 of our other 3 cats want to kill her. As soon as they she her it's like a royal rumble. We have to break them up. Jazzy just runs and hides under the kitchen cabinets or jumps on the kitchen counter because the 2 cats that attack her are to fat to jump up onto the counter."

"...these battles are much horrible then I've ever seen. I know it takes time, but in the mean time is there anything I can do to help them along?"

"My husband's issue is that Jazzy walks around with her mouth open all the time sometimes making what sounds like a panting noise and he said he doesn't trust her. "

"I just want peace between all my cats so that Jazzy can come out fully because I think it's the attack of the killer cats holding her back some."

What you originally posted is significantly different than your subsequent posts, so hopefully that will help clear things up for anyone reading the thread. I'm glad you spoke with Shelby to help put her mind at ease too.

As for a suggestion, have you tried any of the pheromone collars/sprays/diffusers to help Inky relax.

D

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

I got an F3 girl from Shelby and this is most definitely not the behavior I experienced. There are actually a number of people who have her cats that are on the lists and forums and without fail one of the things that is consistent is how well socialized and loving her kittens are. It sounds to me like the kitten has not been properly introduced in your home, and is quite frankly now traumatized. I don't know what other cats you have but Savannahs are not typical cats. That's why you got one... correct? With that comes the responsibility of learning about them and their unique personalities, behaviors and needs.

Many don't like to be picked up and carried around. Even my most affectionate F2 queens do not like to be carried about. Trying to force her to do things like be carried while she is scared and getting beat up by your other cats is only making matters worse. I can only imagine Shelby is beside herself with worry and concern. You really owe it to her to call her and give her an honest assessment of what is going on. I'm sure she will have suggestions that you should take to heart and try.

Hope it turns out well ~ Lori

First of all... everything you just said is wrong. She is socializing with all of us and is not traumatized. Second of all we have not once tried to force her to do anything and that was never stated in my thread. We have eased her into everything including our other house cats. I tried one time to pick her up and it lasted about 2 seconds and she jumped out of my arms. I haven't tried since. We just let her come to us and now she plays with all of us and lets us pet her.

You blew this way out of proportion and I followed all of Shelby's directions and called her everyday with any questions I had. I still til this day keep her up to date on her progress and send her pictures and videos. When we got Jazzy she was the timid one out of the litter and I knew it would take time. I did all my research on Savannah cats and asked Shelby about everything when needed.

If you read my thread then you would know that Jazzy isn't the problem... it's my other cat. Jazzy is fine. I called Shelby everyday in the beginning with any questions or concerns and still keep in touch with her because I made her a promise to keep her up to date on her progress and growth which I do.

I know what a traumatized cat looks like and acts like because I have a blind cat and Jazzy is in no way shape or form traumatized. So I'm taking it you are the one who called Shelby and got her all upset over nothing. I was just asking for advise on what to do with my fat cat Inky that Shelby already knew about. Jazzy is laying next to me at this very moment watching me.

So again... Jazzy the Savannah cat is settled in, not being attacked by the other cats, just a hissing match, and plays with us everyday.

The problem is my house cat and trying to get her to calm down. Jazzy doesn't start or bother with the other cats. I called it a royal rumble because of how loud the hissing gets. We don't let it get as far as fighting.

As for knowing about Savannahs... I did a lot of research before buying one and Shelby explained everything to me. She even explained that some Savannahs don't take as long as other to settle in while some can take extra work. Lucky you that you got one that didn't take as long but I have read where it has taken some people 3-4 months to get theirs to come around and we had Jazzy playing with us and sleeping with us in 2 weeks ad 1 month to venture out of her safe place and leave the bed room. Now she runs through the whole house although the kitchen is her favorite spot. Could be because she likes the garden windows and our cooking since she likes to eat the left overs in the pans. Oh and before you think that is horrible... Shelby warned me about a hot stove so we keep her away from it when it's hot. After it coold down she likes to get up there and eat the left overs.

Again... Shelby and I have kept in touch and continue to do so. Today she told me to put my fat cat in time out which I will do, but I posted this to get some ideas from people who may have had the same problem with an old cat trying to get use to a new cat. I've had cats for 17yrs. and been through the battles so it's nothing new to me. I was just seeing if anyone had a quick fix to a not so big problem since I take great care of all my pets.

This is the second time I joined a forum for help and the second time I've had someone criticize me without knowing all the facts or should I say not reading thoroughly and misunderstanding. Jazzy laying next to me right now doesn't look or seem so traumatized. Wouldn't a traumatized cat be in hiding all of the time rather then out and playing with us and laying next to me at this very moment, and playing in the water bowl and wouldn't that cat be terrified of a 5yr. old kid? I guess I didn't know these were signs of a traumatized cat. I thought these were signs of a happy content cat. I guess Savannahs are the opposite of regular house cats and prefer to be around people and playing when they are traumatized.

S

shelby

Thank you all...Paige, Lori and Trish for suggesting the exact same things that I told Dawn. I stressed also that I was willing and able to come and bring Jazzy home.

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
First of all... everything you just said is wrong. She is socializing with all of us and is not traumatized. Second of all we have not once tried to force her to do anything and that was never stated in my thread. We have eased her into everything including our other house cats. I tried one time to pick her up and it lasted about 2 seconds and she jumped out of my arms. I haven't tried since. We just let her come to us and now she plays with all of us and lets us pet her.

You blew this way out of proportion and I followed all of Shelby's directions and called her everyday with any questions I had. I still til this day keep her up to date on her progress and send her pictures and videos. When we got Jazzy she was the timid one out of the litter and I knew it would take time. I did all my research on Savannah cats and asked Shelby about everything when needed.

If you read my thread then you would know that Jazzy isn't the problem... it's my other cat. Jazzy is fine. I called Shelby everyday in the beginning with any questions or concerns and still keep in touch with her because I made her a promise to keep her up to date on her progress and growth which I do.

I know what a traumatized cat looks like and acts like because I have a blind cat and Jazzy is in no way shape or form traumatized. So I'm taking it you are the one who called Shelby and got her all upset over nothing. I was just asking for advise on what to do with my fat cat Inky that Shelby already knew about. Jazzy is laying next to me at this very moment watching me.

So again... Jazzy the Savannah cat is settled in, not being attacked by the other cats, just a hissing match, and plays with us everyday.

The problem is my house cat and trying to get her to calm down. Jazzy doesn't start or bother with the other cats. I called it a royal rumble because of how loud the hissing gets. We don't let it get as far as fighting.

As for knowing about Savannahs... I did a lot of research before buying one and Shelby explained everything to me. She even explained that some Savannahs don't take as long as other to settle in while some can take extra work. Lucky you that you got one that didn't take as long but I have read where it has taken some people 3-4 months to get theirs to come around and we had Jazzy playing with us and sleeping with us in 2 weeks ad 1 month to venture out of her safe place and leave the bed room. Now she runs through the whole house although the kitchen is her favorite spot. Could be because she likes the garden windows and our cooking since she likes to eat the left overs in the pans. Oh and before you think that is horrible... Shelby warned me about a hot stove so we keep her away from it when it's hot. After it coold down she likes to get up there and eat the left overs.

Again... Shelby and I have kept in touch and continue to do so. Today she told me to put my fat cat in time out which I will do, but I posted this to get some ideas from people who may have had the same problem with an old cat trying to get use to a new cat. I've had cats for 17yrs. and been through the battles so it's nothing new to me. I was just seeing if anyone had a quick fix to a not so big problem since I take great care of all my pets.

This is the second time I joined a forum for help and the second time I've had someone criticize me without knowing all the facts or should I say not reading thoroughly and misunderstanding. Jazzy laying next to me right now doesn't look or seem so traumatized. Wouldn't a traumatized cat be in hiding all of the time rather then out and playing with us and laying next to me at this very moment, and playing in the water bowl and wouldn't that cat be terrified of a 5yr. old kid? I guess I didn't know these were signs of a traumatized cat. I thought these were signs of a happy content cat. I guess Savannahs are the opposite of regular house cats and prefer to be around people and playing when they are traumatized.

Dawn, did you read my subsequent reply after you explained a bit more? I am not the only one who "misunderstood" your original post so please consider that it was how the information was presented to the group rather than those of us who took the time to reply. We aren't out to get you and certainly not trying to be mean. We were concerned about the kitten... all of us were.... including your breeder.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Dawn, no one blew anything out of proportion...people reacted to what was posted - period...you may not have meant to word your post the way you did, but that is impossible for anyone reading it to know.

Sounds like a feliway collar may help your cat that is really upset. Or you may want to try some nutricalm...both have worked well for me.

D

Dawn

Dawn, I see that we may have misunderstood your dilemma, but please re-read what you wrote. Can't blame us for being very concerned about the kitten:

"The problem is that 2 of our other 3 cats want to kill her. As soon as they she her it's like a royal rumble. We have to break them up. Jazzy just runs and hides under the kitchen cabinets or jumps on the kitchen counter because the 2 cats that attack her are to fat to jump up onto the counter."

"...these battles are much horrible then I've ever seen. I know it takes time, but in the mean time is there anything I can do to help them along?"

"My husband's issue is that Jazzy walks around with her mouth open all the time sometimes making what sounds like a panting noise and he said he doesn't trust her. "

"I just want peace between all my cats so that Jazzy can come out fully because I think it's the attack of the killer cats holding her back some."

What you originally posted is significantly different than your subsequent posts, so hopefully that will help clear things up for anyone reading the thread. I'm glad you spoke with Shelby to help put her mind at ease too.

As for a suggestion, have you tried any of the pheromone collars/sprays/diffusers to help Inky relax.

Yeah I realized it did sound worse then it was. It's the loud hissing that makes it sound so horrible and like they want to kill each other. To me it's worse then what I'm use to because of the sounds Jazzy makes. Actually Inky and Jazzy has gotten in reach of each other 2 times before I could break it up and there was some paws flying but both times Inky was the one to run away. When Jazzy sees Inky coming now she waits and once Inky starts hissing then Jazzy jumps on the counter or hides under the cabinets. Jazzy's hiss sounds so much like a snake that it throws you off. My husband was actually scared of her until he started playing with her. I do think it is Inky holding Jazzy back from being on the floor more often and was only looking for advise on what to do with Inky.

Jazzy is a sweety! I would just let them battle it out like I have done in the past when I brought a new kitten home, but to be honest with you I was more scared that Jazzy would hurt the other cats since she's a little more wild. We try to stop it before they get to each other which has been working so far as long as we are there.

When Jazzy first hissed I was thrown off because I wasn't use to that sound, but I did and still do keep in touch with Shelby. My other cats were all strays so it didn't take a settling in period and they didn't hide. I knew that it was going to be different with Jazzy and we did what was needed. I just want Inky to stop and leave her alone because it is horrible compared to what I went through with bringing all my other kittens home. It's horrible because I feel for Jazzy and cried when I picked her up from Shelby because I could see how upset Shelby was and that was the first time I took a kitten from it's mother and felt bad since I'm use to strays.

You don't know how many ti,es my husband and I jumped up out of bed from the hissing thinking that we were gonna find one of them holding the other by the throat only to find them looking at each other and hissing.

So I didn't mean to make it sound as bad as it did. I did state how she was coming along and settling in and that it was just Inky.

So with that said I'm going to be putting Inky in time out like Shelby said but if anyone has any other ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

D

Dawn

I actually read the post as everyone that posted did. I think we sometimes have a lot of questions and they get all jumbled and can be taken the exact opposite of the way they were meant to be taken. After talking with you it was a big relief for me to know that Jazzy is not the problem child;>) I knew from her sleeping with Corey and the games she was playing with him that something must have happened since we last talked. You have kept your promise of keeping me informed and sending pictures......I love it;>)I do think you have patience and she is fine, but...you do need some help in calming miss fat cat down;>) I am sure there are many on this forum that will offer other ideas on how to get the other cat to better adjust to Jazzy. There is a lot wisdom here and I am sure there is a fix to the problem . Just read, listen and try the suggestions. Sometimes there is a bully in the bunch for whatever reason. Believe me you can teach an OLD CAT NEW MANNERS;>) I will give you any ideas I HAVE..I GAVE YOU A FEW ALREADY. Fussing among themselves is somewhat normal as long as there is no fighting. A cat fight is ugly and someone will end up getting hurt. Thank you for making me better understand your post. Now let's work on getting these babies to accept the new kid on the block. Ask those questions and let us all know how they are coming along;>)

Thank you Shelby and yes I jumbled it all together so it sounded worse then it was. You already knew about the fat cat. I'm going to do the time out thing you told me to do and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again and I will continue to keep my promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.