Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Trimming nails

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Have you tried human baby nail clippers? Emma Kats recommended this and they have worked well. They are super sharp, which helps a lot and the large safety bulb on the end makes them very stable. Have had great results so far, much better then with cat nail clippers.

I agree! I use human baby nail clippers for my kittens, and bigger adult nail clippers for the adult cats. I get mine at the Dollar Stores, and they are name brand ones and can usually find them in small, medium and large sizes. It is important to change them out frequently so they are sharp and cut the nail quickly. If they leave a ragged edge, it's time for new ones. For $1, you can't beat that....

Lesley

Site Supporter
I agree! I use human baby nail clippers for my kittens, and bigger adult nail clippers for the adult cats. I get mine at the Dollar Stores, and they are name brand ones and can usually find them in small, medium and large sizes. It is important to change them out frequently so they are sharp and cut the nail quickly. If they leave a ragged edge, it's time for new ones. For $1, you can't beat that....

Yes, Pam I agree. This has been my experience as well. Thanks for pointing out the need to replace when needed. They are cheap, just need to be kept sharp. Also, much less noise then cat nail trimmers.

django

Savannah Super Cat
I have no trouble doing my Bengal and DSH's nails but CANNOT for the life of me cut Django (SV) nails. I did the same thing I did with the older two... playing with his feet and nails without cutting. He's become accustomed to that pretty much, but once I touch the nail clipper to his nail he runs away and freaks. I've tried baby clippers and cat clippers. If I'm REALLLLLY lucky I can get one nail.. but even thats rare.

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
I go to a cat and don't groomers and the charge me 11.00 dollars to clip simba's nails. I do it every 3-4 weeks. If he has a vet appointment I'll let them do it but they charge 20 bucks

Heather

Savannah Super Cat
Have you tried human baby nail clippers? Emma Kats recommended this and they have worked well. They are super sharp, which helps a lot and the large safety bulb on the end makes them very stable. Have had great results so far, much better then with cat nail clippers.
Great idea! I will definitely try baby nail clippers.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I have no trouble doing my Bengal and DSH's nails but CANNOT for the life of me cut Django (SV) nails. I did the same thing I did with the older two... playing with his feet and nails without cutting. He's become accustomed to that pretty much, but once I touch the nail clipper to his nail he runs away and freaks. I've tried baby clippers and cat clippers. If I'm REALLLLLY lucky I can get one nail.. but even thats rare.

Jarvis used to be like that, he was VERY sensitive about his paws. When Jarvis came home, he REALLY did not trust me (he and Mike on the other hand hit it right off). Mike would have to hold him, we would talk to him and feed him treats the whole time, and I'ld consider myself lucky if I got a whole paw done without him attempting to scratch me, with Mike holding him. I actually have a small scar on my face from one day when he got his paw caught in my sweatshirt, and panicked.

Well, 15 months after he came home to us, I can now pick him up, flip him on his back in my arms, and do all four paws in less than 2 minutes. He is a bit squirmy, but he has learned that I am not going to hurt him, that it is over quickly, and that there are treats when we are done. If it is a tough day, there are treats, then front paws, then treats, then back paws, then more treats. That said, it is unusual now if I need help trimming his nails; he gets bi-weekly manicures.

I have worked hard to make sure he feels confident, safe and loved, and as he has grown to trust me more, he has calmed down and been more willing to let me handle his paws and clip his nails. He is lying next to me right now ;) Be patient. He may come around.

django

Savannah Super Cat
Jarvis used to be like that, he was VERY sensitive about his paws. When Jarvis came home, he REALLY did not trust me (he and Mike on the other hand hit it right off). Mike would have to hold him, we would talk to him and feed him treats the whole time, and I'ld consider myself lucky if I got a whole paw done without him attempting to scratch me, with Mike holding him. I actually have a small scar on my face from one day when he got his paw caught in my sweatshirt, and panicked.

Well, 15 months after he came home to us, I can now pick him up, flip him on his back in my arms, and do all four paws in less than 2 minutes. He is a bit squirmy, but he has learned that I am not going to hurt him, that it is over quickly, and that there are treats when we are done. If it is a tough day, there are treats, then front paws, then treats, then back paws, then more treats. That said, it is unusual now if I need help trimming his nails; he gets bi-weekly manicures.

I have worked hard to make sure he feels confident, safe and loved, and as he has grown to trust me more, he has calmed down and been more willing to let me handle his paws and clip his nails. He is lying next to me right now ;) Be patient. He may come around.

Hoping he comes around eventually!! He's like a ragdoll in every other sense, i can flip him upside down, cradle him like a baby, and do anything... but once those clippers come out.. DJANGO OUT!!

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Hoping he comes around eventually!! He's like a ragdoll in every other sense, i can flip him upside down, cradle him like a baby, and do anything... but once those clippers come out.. DJANGO OUT!!

I've been known to let Jarvis have a go at the clippers.
I don't really see the harm in it, if he wants to do a little gnaw and smack on them, it doesn't really bother me.