Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Advice needed about ringworm....

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
[quote="IMingenius, post: 80947, member: 2910"
I saw (no stalker creepiness intended) that you travel frequently to Europe (Germany?) Are you originally from there? I grew up in Germany, is why I ask….it's seldom that I meet anyone from Germany!![/quote]

We spent a few weeks in Berlin and a couple days in Dresden (I wanted to see the Dresden Green diamond) but that's the extent of our explorations to Germany so far.

IMingenius

Savannah Super Cat
My father was in the military when I was younger….we lived in Augsburg for 5 years and Wurzburg for 6 years. I went to The University of Maryland, Munich, Germany my first year of college before transferring to the University of Alabama. I loved the time spent in Germany/Europe. :) Luckily, my parents were big travelers so we were able to visit many places in Europe…my favorites were Holland, Czechoslovakia and Berlin! We went to East Berlin when it was still communist and gained an appreciation for both their lifestyle and ours as well. My sisters, father and I were there when the wall came down and my Dad was almost arrested for trying to take pieces of it! LOL I would move back to Germany in a heartbeat! You are so lucky to have the ability to travel there….I would love to go back, but so far have not been able too….but someday...:up:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Poor Jinx, but also lucky Jinx that he is with you and not facing a death sentence at the shelter :-(

FIV is sad but cats often live decent lives with this virus, but yes it likely is making the ringworm infection harder to fight off. We've adopted out Savannahs with FIV and they so far have stayed healthy. As Witchy mentions, it definitely is a consideration though if you wished to add another cat or kitten...

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
Poor liitle guy is having a really tough time of it. Thank goodness he has such a loving and caring mum and dad to help him through this. Sending lots of love and healing thoughts your way x

IMingenius

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you, Brigette and Evie! :) The vet did let us know that it would not be a good idea to adopt another cat (poor Jon, he has fallen in love with cats after getting Jinx and would probably adopt ten more if he could! LOL) because Jinx could pass the virus onto another cat. We expect him to have a long life with us and will do everything possible to keep him healthy. Brigette, I can't believe the shelter would euthanize cats for something like ringworm!! That cannot be the norm, is it?? That's crazy!

IMingenius

Savannah Super Cat
Hello all....just a quick question. :) Jinx has had a lot of peeling skin - like when we have a sunburn and can peel a patch of skin off. Is this normal?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Thank you, Brigette and Evie! :) The vet did let us know that it would not be a good idea to adopt another cat (poor Jon, he has fallen in love with cats after getting Jinx and would probably adopt ten more if he could! LOL) because Jinx could pass the virus onto another cat. We expect him to have a long life with us and will do everything possible to keep him healthy. Brigette, I can't believe the shelter would euthanize cats for something like ringworm!! That cannot be the norm, is it?? That's crazy!
For a shelter that is overloaded with cats, they will often decide to euthanize the sick ones. It seems terrible that something so curable would spell a death sentence but it's not the first time I've heard it. I guess in their eyes, the cats can't be put out for adoption until well and the time to get them well is time those cages are used and not being "turned over"...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Hello all....just a quick question. :) Jinx has had a lot of peeling skin - like when we have a sunburn and can peel a patch of skin off. Is this normal?
I think that it is normal for the skin to slough off after a skin infection but I'd normally expect it more to be flaking off... but is it the patch where there was a ringworm lesion? Then I'd not be too worried...