Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad reaction to anesthesia?!?syringe force feeding?!?!

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
REALLY??? I would be raising holy hell if I was in your place. AND finding another vet! AND telling everyone I know about this one. GRRRRRR.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
What a nightmare. Sounds to me like someone at that clinic made a huge mistake and doesn't want to own up to it. First and foremost, find a vet who can get Koda through this, preferably one who is willing to make house calls so Koda isn't further stressed by a clinic setting. He will probably heal fast once the pain begins to diminish and he begins to get over the trauma of the procedure and what happened after. I wonder if a feeding tube would be appropriate for a little while.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
How awful! I am so sorry that this happened to you Koda and your family. I agree with WW - find him a new vet immediately to help him thru this trauma. And yes, a feeding tube may be better than trying to force feed him food and liquids for 2 weeks. I cannot believe that the vet was not waiting to talk to you - absolutely inexcusable behavior.

admin

Paige
Staff member
He needs pain meds... He is in pain and won't open his mouth until the pain subsides... How the vet gave him nothing for pain is beyond me and inhuman... Can you get him to another very asap? And now that I know how serious this is I agree with the feeding tube... It would be much better for him, but will require a bit of anesthesia... I am so angry... That is just malpractice and I would put a stop payment on! Credit card if that is how you paid... But I would get him to an ER vet or another very asap...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have to agree with the others - Koda should be evaluated by another vet asap, and if you are not able to easily syringe feed him then he needs a feeding tube. You might also want to consider supplementing him with something such as Rapid Rehab or Crisis Care: http://www.completenaturalnutrition.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_35

The amoxicillin dosing should be written on the label of the bottle but if it is not the typical dose is 5mg/lb. I assume it is liquid and they gave you a syringe to administer it with? What is the pain medication you were given? The most typical ones are pre-dosed in syringes and you give one syringe a day, but I do NOT want to recommend this without actually knowing what it is.

Please keep a close eye on Koda, if he is not eating or drinking well he could go downhill fast. If you don't already know, find out where your nearest emergency vet hospital is, just in case. And start looking for a new vet first thing in the morning!

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
24hr emergency vet checked him for me. He said the other vet should have shaved the furr on his face before stitching. But all his wounds look clean. I was shown had to syringe feed as well.

Took me an hour to give Koda his antibiotics,pain meds,and 1.0m/l of water. And I still need to give min 6.0m/l of food but I'm giving him a break for a few minutes. He's doing well this morning he's purring a lot even when I was putting the medicine in his mouth. He really wants to be out here with us lots of meowing but he needs to stay in the bathroom for atleast another 24hrs-48hrs so he can rest. My children are 7,4,15mos (plus another due in a few months) so I'm trying to give him some relaxation and peace for as long as possible.

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
The antibiotics is 1.0 ml 2 times per day. The pain meds is Dolores/lixotinic 0.7 ml for the next 7 days

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
That sounds good. I am glad he is feeling better. HOW ARE YOU?? It is tough when we love them so much. And even tougher when another human baby is on the way. Prayers for you all and hugs to you and the kids. :)

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
I'm doing fine! 4th time around I don't even feel pregnant unlike with my others when I was sick as a dog lol. it's not as hard as I thought it'd be but its hard for me to see all the stitches in his face. I feel so guilty I mean this place had no negative teviews on yelp or Facebook only positives. But now I'm being told there were protesters over there last week. I Just moved here so I had no idea :(. What I do know is this is unacceptable. Especially leaving without talking to us! I understand things happen but at the same time we were not told they had to stitch under his chin and on both sides of his face! We were told his lip and tounge so why is there way more stitches than that?? We couldn't truly see all the stitches till we got home. It also looks like he is missing two nails from his paw that's all bloody.