Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desperate (and possibly last) Call for Help....

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
when he's in the quarantine room he is using the boxes exclusively.... its when he's let out (even a slow introduction that he starts going elsewhere).

Has anyone in your family scolded him for peeing outside the box? If so, then he associates humans/peeing as bad/frightening which would be one explanation for why he is consistently using the box to pee while in quarantine. There is a stressor involved somewhere is my guess that he doesn't encounter when he is in quarantine.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Your quarantine time may not have been long enough. I would recommend at least two weeks. He doesn't have to be in the quarantine room or other area the entire time; just when you are not home to monitor what he is doing.

I know it sounds drastic the method I chose for my peeing boy, but like you, I was at my wit's end as well. As it was, my boy was only in the dog crate during the night and a few hours during the day, when he slept in the hammock anyway....we kept the dog cage in our main area so he was not separated from the rest of the family.

You say he is bonding well with your family and your other kitty. Does the other cat lie on the beds he is peeing on or the desk? Is there any chance your other cat is dominant over him? Can you keep the door to your daughter's room closed?

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
Honestly Witchy I can't say so.... the only time that I physically handled him or got excited was when I caught him mid-pee at the front door... and carried him over to his box (pee stream going). No like scolding or yelling though... a stressor makes sense but can't figure out what it could be. He's bonded with all of us including my other cat

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
How many boxes do you have? General rule of thumb is one per cat, plus one, so you should have at least three litter boxes total. If he only has one box to use, that may be the issue. Many cats like to use one box to pee in, one to poop....size, shape and location of the boxes can also be a factor. Your boy may not like to be sharing the box with your other cat...

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
Hey Pam,

we're doing exactly what you say (by coincidence). He's quarantined every night all night and was quarantined for 3 weeks (2 weeks initially and at least a week when we first noticed the peeing issue). Other cat doesn't lie on my daughters bed or desk that we've seen (had him for 12 years)... and daughters room door is closed at all times (closed it after first couple of pees on her bed... mattress also soaked in anti icky poo honestly). He snuck in while the door opened... looked like crept open on its own (also have a baby gate on her room) and hopped the baby gate..

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
It's going to be hard for someone to throw something at me here that we haven't tried... which is why I'm so desperate

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
Reality is we've gone over and above what most people would (in effort and money) and still are having this issue.... sigh

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I still stand by my suggestion to try confinement to a dog crate/cage and confinement for longer than a week...two is better. The smaller confinement area vs using a room seemed to be the trick for retraining my boy, plus the fact he was kept among our company so did not seem he was being punished or separated...

Also contact Marilyn Krieger.

There are several threads here devoted to this issue:

http://www.savannahcatchat.com/search/85413/?q=inappropriate+peeing&o=date