Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desperate (and possibly last) Call for Help....

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Hey Pam,

we're doing exactly what you say (by coincidence). He's quarantined every night all night and was quarantined for 3 weeks (2 weeks initially and at least a week when we first noticed the peeing issue). Other cat doesn't lie on my daughters bed or desk that we've seen (had him for 12 years)... and daughters room door is closed at all times (closed it after first couple of pees on her bed... mattress also soaked in anti icky poo honestly). He snuck in while the door opened... looked like crept open on its own (also have a baby gate on her room) and hopped the baby gate..

You mention the down comforter, can you try a down alternative for a month or two? And some cats like soft cushy places like comforters to pee...I've heard of using a larger flat sheet over the TOP of the comforter and tucked in smoothed so that it is not a rumpled comfy surface. If he's not peeing while your daughter is IN the bed, this could well work. I'm guessing you've put waterproof mattress protectors on the mattresses now?

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Brigitte,

He has actually peed with her in bed. we do keep her door closed with a baby gate as extra security since he first started... this time around he ended up sneaking in with the door left open accidentally.. I'm understanding the down comforter however he also pees on hard surfaces (wood desk with nothing on it, tile floor/wall corner). I've contacted Marilyn and am organizing a consultation. I'm hoping it works because its the last resort for us.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, but the bed is far more upsetting than the desk I would imagine. There likely was "some" reason the desk was a target too... some scent left on the surface etc.

I would caution you though, there is little use in going into a consultation with Marilyn if you go convinced there is nothing left to do...or that doing things you have tried before won't help. It might take a combination of tactics and a certain length of time to see results. Rarely is there an immediate fix to such situations. If you already feel that you are out of patience and lack the willingness to work more on this issue...then I would contact Christine about returning your kitten.

Trish Allearz

I agree with B-- and as I said, I'd do quarantine.

Look, he's 5 months old and you've been having this issue on and off. Quarantine isn't to get him to use the boxes in his room-- typically, the cats are PERFECT in quarantine at using their boxes-- it's to break the bad habit of them peeing/pooping elsewhere in the household.

If I'm understanding you right, it seems like you've bounced back and forth with ideas. Am I right and he's 5 months so you've had him for 8 weeks? Or did I read that wrong? You need to stick to your guns regardless the path you take-- I know Marilynn will have great suggestions, but you'll need to follow her path and stick to her timeline, I'd think.

To ME-- they get quarantined until the problem is fixed. I had an F7 alter who wanted to poop in my hallway when we first moved into this house-- constantly. He was refused access to that hallway and kept in a bedroom until we could safely let him out and he did not poop there. I will say-- I also INJECTED the Anti Icky Poo into the carpet padding all over the place so that may be helpful if you haven't done so already on any carpet he might be going on.

It's totally frustrating, but take some deep breaths and say it with us, "I'm going to get through this and my baby is going to stay with me."

John Popp

Site Supporter
First off, I'm hopeful you'll find a solution to the situation. With 16 years of sharing our home with a problem pee'r it took great effort to find what the triggers were. Solve the issue and things are running smooth for a few years and then the issue rears it's head again.

Keep in mind you have a kitten that very much wants to do the right thing and isn't doing any of this for reasons outside of insecurity. New surroundings, resident cat and two young children to contend with. That's a pretty tall order for all but the most confident of cats.

Anyway, your cat isn't doing this to be vindictive, they are asking for your help in making them feel more secure. Unfortunately, that may entail a whole new quarantine period and new introductions, keeping him separated from your children until your sure they've gained his trust.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
My Scottish Fold was pooping outside of the box nightly and also peeing outside of the box on a regular basis. I put a night light above the box so that he could find it at night, I changed litter. We saw some improvement with the lightweight Tidy Cat litter, there was some improvement. I then tried Cat's Pride Fresh and Light litter, a green container, and it has almost stopped completely. We had an accident when the night light was burnt out. I must keep all cats out of 1 room that has a feather cushioned sofa. What kind of pillows are on the bed? If they are feather pillows, that could be the problem. Good luck. Sue

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Interesting about the nightlight, Sue, I've not heard of that solution before! I guess some cats might have less confidence in the dark, possibly vision...after all we humans have such issues!

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
Interesting about the nightlight, Sue, I've not heard of that solution before! I guess some cats might have less confidence in the dark, possibly vision...after all we humans have such issues!
A Scottish Fold has a gene defect for the folded ears. He is a scaredy cat, runs and hides if anyone comes within 3 foot of him. My husband says he doesn't have a full deck. I can only pet him at night when I am in bed. If he has been good, he comes to me for a pet. If he has been bad, he avoids me and goes to my husband. Got to love him. Sue

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I just had a weird visual - a cross between a Savannah and a Scottish fold.......large floppy ears folded over like a hound dog.......that would be most strange!

John Popp

Site Supporter
I just had a weird visual - a cross between a Savannah and a Scottish fold.......large floppy ears folded over like a hound dog.......that would be most strange!

While certainly not to the extent of a Scottish Fold, while at rest my boy Dino's ears have a pretty noticeable flop to them.