Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Elsa and Her Bird Feeder

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Treywi, I got a surprise this morning. I live in suburban Chicago. There is a large area of forest preserves only a few miles away (which does have bald eagles). I have this little pond next to the house with gold fish in it. As I walked into the kitchen to get breakfast, out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse thru my sliding window door of a large bird stalking the pond. It was a Great Blue Heron, I think, well it's definitely a heron. It flew to my neighbors pool deck. Explains the lower population of gold fish this year from last. I could not get a picture.
Edit, I did! (Sorry it is grainy, Electronic zoom on Iphone 5S)
GBH052014.jpg

Last edited:

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
****This just in*******
The above pictured heron is being sought for interrogation of it's involvement of the disappearance of goldfish. Subject was last seen in the vicinity of a pond with half dozen goldfish. All goldfish have been reported missing.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Treywi, I got a surprise this morning. I live in suburban Chicago. There is a large area of forest preserves only a few miles away (which does have bald eagles). I have this little pond next to the house with gold fish in it. As I walked into the kitchen to get breakfast, out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse thru my sliding window door of a large bird stalking the pond. It was a Great Blue Heron, I think, well it's definitely a heron. It flew to my neighbors pool deck. Explains the lower population of gold fish this year from last. I could not get a picture.
Edit, I did! (Sorry it is grainy, Electronic zoom on Iphone 5S)
View attachment 13127

I have been wondering what kind of bird that was.... I have one exactly like it that I have been trying for days to get a picture of, but does not stay around a long enough...

****This just in*******
The above pictured heron is being sought for interrogation of it's involvement of the disappearance of goldfish. Subject was last seen in the vicinity of a pond with half dozen goldfish. All goldfish have been reported missing.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did you call the cops... I mean really.. Sounds like you have a good case and proof against this thief...

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
What do you think a pond full of fish is to a fish eating bird?

bait for the hunter... You put the fish out, wait for the birds, and then send the hunters or cats to go get the birds.

Maybe we need to take up a collection for Rascals Fish :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is just a crime... Those birds should have to pay!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Hey Witchy, do you have herons walking around your backyard? Huh? I've lived in this town for over 40 years and have never seen a heron in a subdivision. I would have expected Rocky the local raccoon to be fishing in the pond, but he doesn't. And the pond wasn't full, and it's really small. 4 foot by 2 foot. He should have strolled 4 houses down and he could have walked Marley Creek and had his fill of small fish.
And while we're at it, I didn't hear a peep (meow) from these so called wild bred spotted primadonnas.
I cut off their treats for a day. I'll show them!
It just burns my butt I have to go down to petsmart and buy some more fish at 19 cents each.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, that's a great blue heron. I'm not surprised it found the pond with ready pickings...you might try restocking the pond with pirahnas....JUST kidding!

Actually, great blues seem to not be too afraid of humans. We see them regularly when we tube on the river behind my house, and we can drift quite close to them before they leave or move away.