Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye My Little Man

Suzanne H

Savannah Super Cat
Your Little Man was an absolute doll. I too had one,non SV, that I called that. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Suzanne

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Trish is correct, I wasn't sure what the "stagnant water" parasite was, but if you read the fine print on most city water reports there can be giardia present, they only have to report it if it is above a certain level.

And yes, FIP is a cruel disease that will happen to almost EVERY breeder at some point of their careers. It is how that breeder deals with it that tells you what kind of breeder they are. And if the breeder had died, and the kittens were being placed... is there even a cattery to shut down?

P

Patrycja

Ok - another question - but if the breeder is dceased, is the granddaughter still breeding? I thought she was getting rid of the cats?

That's the story she gave us, was that her grandmother passed, etc. I was just calling her the breeder because I didn't know what else to call her lol But looking at the same AD in the Daily Oklahoman that she had posted a month ago, it still says "breeder blow out sale" and then at the bottom it says "reserve your kittens" or something of that nature.

P

Patrycja

I'm going to say this and while it is a sensitive time for you, I still feel the need to get this off my chest...

FIP does not mean this breeder was a horrible breeder- FIP does and can happen. It also is thought to have some hereditary aspects- so that could explain what happened here. Even giardia is not indicative of a horrible breeder- in this situation, we simply don't know enough to make that call IF the situation was as you were originally informed (ie the breeder died and a family member was selling off the kittens). Regular tap water can and does carry giardia, depending upon where you live in the United States. Everything else, however, is a red flag- the condition of the kittens when they came to you, etc.

I am just so sorry for you and your family.. And so sorry for those sweet babies... I really hope this lady is not breeding!

I realize that them having FIP doesn't mean she's a bad breeder, but my gut instinct is to report her and that there is something fishy going on. If she had let us visit the cattery etc. I wouldn't be so upset about it. I guess that's also partly our fault for not knowing any better. I'm not trying to point the finger, I'm just so furious and said what I said. Innocent until proven guilty though.

P

Patrycja

Trish is correct, I wasn't sure what the "stagnant water" parasite was, but if you read the fine print on most city water reports there can be giardia present, they only have to report it if it is above a certain level.

And yes, FIP is a cruel disease that will happen to almost EVERY breeder at some point of their careers. It is how that breeder deals with it that tells you what kind of breeder they are. And if the breeder had died, and the kittens were being placed... is there even a cattery to shut down?

There may or may not be a cattery to shut down, you're right. But if the grandmother did die and left it to her, she doesn't seem to be treating them very well. Or if the story is completely false and she's raising "30+ kittens" (as she said) in her garage, I would feel so guilty if I didn't at least try to find out what's going on. Whether they follow her to the cattery or to her home to check on their welfare, it really doesn't matter. As long as those cats are checked on, I'll feel better.

B

Breheart

I am glad you found a moment to review your pictures and good times with Lowkey, I hope that it helps you feel better. And good for you in looking further with the police to help save anyone else from having to go through this. It must be very tough, but I am so happy to see how loved he was, by you and your other cats (being groomed by them, all the cuddling and so on)

P

Patrycja

I am glad you found a moment to review your pictures and good times with Lowkey, I hope that it helps you feel better. And good for you in looking further with the police to help save anyone else from having to go through this. It must be very tough, but I am so happy to see how loved he was, by you and your other cats (being groomed by them, all the cuddling and so on)

Thank you! He was very loved indeed. I'm glad he was able to have a good life with us too. I don't think he would have lasted as long as he did if it weren't for our home.