Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Levy (New name pending.)

Amanda Hughes

Savannah Super Cat
DAY 1

So I brought Levy home today. She promptly found a unique hiding spot. 12900218_10207790045203571_435977476_n.jpg 12380459_10207790046403601_1806227100_n.jpg

Took her to my vet for her check up. All good. Got home, took her out of the carrier and sat down on the couch with her and she crawled under a heavy mink blanket I keep on the couch. So I pulled part of it over my lap cause I was going to cover up with it anyways. I tried to place her in my lap but she wasn't having any of that and she hissed at me. So I backed off and she settled herself in front of my legs under thee blanket.

tdbradin

Savannah Super Cat
I like that name. Eager to see more pics as he warms up to the new environment.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Amanda Hughes

Savannah Super Cat
I like that name. Eager to see more pics as he warms up to the new environment.

Hopefully she warms up quickly. We have her closed in our living room with us. Currently trying to bribe her out from under our couch with boiled chicken. I think I made a mistake not putting her in a bathroom.

tdbradin

Savannah Super Cat
As long as she feels safe, the living room should be fine. I think a little more room to watch you from a distance until she's ready to approach you is not a bad thing.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It sounds like she just needs a little time and patience. I predict that in a few days you will report that she is a wild thing, and be posting LOTS of pics for us! (y)

Amanda Hughes

Savannah Super Cat
So Nyx is still hiding under blankets today. Hissed at me twice when I lifted up the blanket to try and coax her out with a wand toy. She looked interested but when she realized that I had stealthily moved the blanket from over her she immediately got back under it. She came out in the middle of the night and was crying which I expected and she came and laid under the blankets with me and licked my face a few times. I don't think she's eaten anything at all today. Only thing she ate here yesterday was the boiled chicken I tried to bribe her with. She did go to the bathroom twice in the litter box but I guess I wasn't home when she did that cause I did not witness it. I think I expected too much. When I brought my last cat home from the SPCA when I lived in an apartment she immediately explored then came and played and snuggled with me.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I think I expected too much.
There are a ton of threads here about acclimating a cat to a new home and about the importance of quarantine even if the cat is the only pet. I think you should rethink your approach. Quarantine her in your bedroom for the recommended two weeks, give her a crate or box to hide in, litter, toys. And be sure to follow the recommended protocol when you bring home the 2nd cat.