Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Malibu, Kali & Odrick

Abby2932

Site Supporter
The only thing that he's destroyed so far has been a feather wand. I gave it to him so I could brush my teeth in peace and when I came back in the room, there was an empty stick. I was struck with terror at first because I thought he ate the feathers but he did not...they were strewn abut the room. Kali eats the feathers (and will throw them up within 5 minutes) so I know better than to leave the cats with the wand unattended but in that moment, I didn't think about it. Thankfully, Odrick is smarter than my sweet, special girl :lol:

I did some site swapping yesterday & this morning & Odrick was SO HAPPY to be out of the room :dog:. Kali was very cautious being in the bedroom but did not appear to be stressed. Once I put them back in their places after about 30 minutes, Kali was totally fine, playing with the feather wand with me. Odge did not want to go back in the prison room.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20180628-115624_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180628-115624_Photos.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 13

Patti

Admin
Staff member
So glad all was well with the feather toy! It sounds like things are progressing well - it's so difficult to get through those quarantine days, but they will be over soon!

Abby2932

Site Supporter
We're just living our best life over here! Love 2

Odrick had his 2nd round of FVRC-P on Tuesday. He did great at the vet and it was over very quickly. He did kind of lose his appetite for the whole afternoon/evening but ate a bunch when we were about to go to sleep & has been doing fine since then. We go back for his Rabies vaccine on 7/31 & his neuter will be on 8/16.

He will be 15 weeks old on Monday next week & he is weighing in at 7lb 10oz as of this morning. My breeder, Sue, thinks he's going to be a nice sized boy. He's already taller than Kali and only 1/2 pound lighter. I'll attach a video so you can see them together. He's outgrown the harness that he was sent home with & by the time my Hyendry harness came in, it was way too small. I have a MetPet harness here (size M) that I bought for Kali a long time ago and that fits him perfectly with room to grow since it is adjustable. I put it on him for about an hour or so every day & he is very comfortable in it. I plan on taking him outside for the first time on Tuesday next week. He is the sweetest angel. He loves getting & giving kisses. He only snuggles up with me when he's very sleepy and the rest of the time he runs around like a wacko.

I introduced Odge & Kali about a week ago. She does not really like him too much just yet. She will hiss at him if he gets too close but there has been no fighting & Kali doesn't appear to be stressed out. She's not hiding or running, still napping in her favorite spots, etc. They are only separated when I'm at work & that isn't because I don't think they'd get along but because I put Odrick's lunch in his auto feeder & I don't want Kali to eat his food. We are all together when I'm home & when we're sleeping. Kali is still not sleeping with me in the bedroom but she's not 100% comfortable being that close to Odrick yet. I do think we will all be sleeping together in no time, though. I keep pondering the idea of implementing a No Cats In The Bedroom rule but I haven't put it into effect.

Odrick is still a very picky eater but I have him eating pork, turkey & sheep so far. We are going to try beef & rabbit in about 2 weeks when my Hare Today order comes in. I bought these delicious raw, fermented goat cheese treats that I was going to use with clicker training. (I really just want him to learn to give me a kiss on command :LOL: and I'll teach him to sit too so I'm not that crazy) but he won't eat them! Like, what cat doesn't like cheese! Kali is all over them. The only thing he has really refused is the raw cheese & raw goat milk. So I just mix the milk into his raw, ground food. It is very nutritious. Kali is eating all of the cheese.

It has been really nice to have him here. It does help with the broken heart of losing my sweet boy in March =( Having a new pet definitely doesn't make you forget about the loss of another special cat but it does provide a good distraction.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20180706-143058_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180706-143058_Photos.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 14
  • SmartSelect_20180706-143117_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180706-143117_Photos.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 13
  • SmartSelect_20180706-143132_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180706-143132_Photos.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 13
  • SmartSelect_20180706-143156_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180706-143156_Photos.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 13

DougRD

Site Supporter
Try Fresh Is Best - Duck Heart Bites for treats. You can find them on Amazon. All of my Savannahs love them.

Abby2932

Site Supporter
@DougRD that's a good idea. I have ordered those before... Malibu & Kali really liked them. I will need to get them again to see if Odge will too

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
"Nice sized"!? LOL Abby, Ninja and Bear were 7lbs and 8lbs at six months, respectively - what you have a spotted moose.

Ours ditched food for an all day sleep after that vaccination, too. Both times.

Ninja will also not eat cheese - it is the strangest thing! I've never had a cat turn down cheese. Who turns down cheese?!

Thanks for the pics - he is so handsome.
(insert heart eyes emoji here)

Abby2932

Site Supporter
@Ninja-n-Bear thank you! He is such a character too. Full of personality. He has just been the perfect addition. I hope Kali warms up quickly. All the hissing she is doing makes me feel like we're living in a snake pit.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
It appears as though Kali has reached acceptance and tolerance of the spotted intruder. Has he tried to engage her in play? If that were my house, Juba and Maliik would be respectful of her and Atticus and Taji would be using her to dust the floor. I think you and Kali are very lucky that he seems to be ok with leaving her to set the parameters of the relationship. A rambunctious kitten who plays hard can make life difficult for any cat.