Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Shango

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
Sorry, haven't been on here much lately. My fur kid turned 2 years old on December 20th. He's calmed down A LOT since I first got him and naps a lot more which is nice so I can actually get more work done during the day time since I work from home. He's still got his Savannah energy though when he's ready to play.

Right before Christmas I had to make a super fast 2 day (1 night) trip to TX. Shango's great in the car, but since it was a fast trip I decided to leave him at home for the very 1st time. Since he's never really liked other people very well, I had my mom feed him while I was gone since he's familiar with her. The 1st day she came by to feed him, he was okay. There was some hissing, but he mainly just avoided her. She tried to get him to play with a wand toy, but he wasn't interested. The 2nd day he got worse and would hiss & swat at her until she'd get out of "his house". She checked on him 3 times each day, but he never did warm up to her. I guess he's a good guard cat lol! Needless to say, he was very happy to see me when I got home. I'm not sure who missed who more.

My master is telling me it's time to stop ignoring him.... it's funny how he's so good whenever I leave him home alone, but if I'm home and ignoring him he starts getting into things and being naughty.

2 years old, 20 lbs 8 oz.
View attachment 22253

Shango turns into a completely different cat at night and is so lovable and just wants to cuddle. Definitely not the case in the mornings or day time lol! Although, I do get my morning headbutts every day.
View attachment 22254

His newest favorite toy to play fetch with. He's picky and will only play fetch when he wants to and only with certain toys.
View attachment 22255 View attachment 22256

He is gorgeous. My boy only fetches occasionally too. I hope he starts enjoying it more. He is 10 months old and 15 lbs. I haven’t taken the time to figure out how to post pictures or videos on here, but I have to work on that. I want a second one, but i just don’t know if my house or my pocketbook can take it! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
Sorry it's been so long without any updates. I really need to start getting on here more often.

Shango is doing great. He's about 2.5 years old now and weighs just a little over 20 lbs. I had to take him to the vet a few weeks ago due to a small bump/wound I noticed on his upper belly. The vet still isn't sure what caused it... maybe a bug/spider bite that got infected. They gave him a convenia injection and some ointment they had me apply twice a day for a week and it's all better now. He's still super spoiled and is a mama's boy... he pretty much likes me and only me. Everyone else is usually greeted with hisses or growls. Some of my closer friends/family occasionally get to pet him, but for the most part he prefers to watch them at a distance. He's gotten lazier with his "old" age, but when it's play time he's got the energy of a kitten lol! Here are some pics of my handsome fur kid.

Still can't get enough of his airplane ears.
Shango1.jpg
I moved his cat tree to a different spot in his bedroom and he seems to like the arrangement a lot better now. I still need to have my dad come over and help me hang up his steps & bridge on the wall. I'm definitely slacking... it's been almost a year in the new house and I still haven't unpacked them yet.
Shango2.jpg
1st thing in the morning and late at night he gets super cuddly and likes to be loved on... this is not the case during the middle of the day. Affection is only given on his terms, but I always love to get snuggles and headbutts from my boy when he's willing to give them.
Shango3.jpg
I still have no idea how he managed to jump up there without breaking the stand or the bottle of wine. I guess he can be graceful when he jumps when he's being sneaky.
Shango4.jpg
One of his favorite toys. I have to take it away when I'm not supervising or he eats the head off.
Shango5.jpg
As a kitten he used to love running/sliding through soda boxes.... the company must have shrunk their boxes lol! He gets stuck trying to back out, but it's always entertaining to watch him try.
Shango6.jpg Shango7.jpg
Shango's not missing the snow. Now that it's warming up outside I'm able to take him outside more often and on longer walks.
Shango8.jpg
This was after his vet appointment. I needed to keep him from licking the wound while it healed so he ended up wearing a borrowed "little monster" dog Halloween shirt.
Shango9.jpg
Playing with his mouse toy. I try to get him a new toy every week or every other week. He loses interest in toys quickly so I try to keep them rotated out and add new ones when I can. He LOVES getting new toys.
Shango10.jpg
Hanging out in his tree.
Shango11.jpg

Abby2932

Site Supporter
He is absolutely stunning and even LOOKS like a mama's boy! Such a big and beautiful little man.

Does he allow the vet to handle him? I mean, do a proper physical, bloodwork, etc? I'm getting my first Savannah in a few weeks and one of my fears is that he'll be a terror at the vet. I know each cat has his/her own personality and they're going to be more tolerant as kittens than adults. I'm just wondering since Shango pretty much only likes you, how he does with the vet/vet techs.

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
He is absolutely stunning and even LOOKS like a mama's boy! Such a big and beautiful little man.

Does he allow the vet to handle him? I mean, do a proper physical, bloodwork, etc? I'm getting my first Savannah in a few weeks and one of my fears is that he'll be a terror at the vet. I know each cat has his/her own personality and they're going to be more tolerant as kittens than adults. I'm just wondering since Shango pretty much only likes you, how he does with the vet/vet techs.

The vet is always a stressful visit, depending on what needs to be done. My sister is the lead vet tech so it might help having a familiar face, but probably not much. Shango is a champ when it comes to shots and we have no issues. He's usually pretty good with the physical as well. He somewhat tolerates blood work... he wasn't happy, but they were able to get it done. If you try to take his temperature or trim his nails, that's a different story. He's very vocal when upset and could be heard from outside. I actually stopped taking him in for nail trimmings since it takes 3 people to do the job (2 to hold him down and 1 to trim) and it really upsets/stresses him out. I now trim his nails by myself at home. I have certain toys that I distract him with and I can trim 1 to 5 nails at a time. Sometimes it takes a full week to get all the front nails trimmed. The backs usually take care of themselves so they really only get trimmed once a year after the winter. He sometimes bites at my hands when trimming nails, but very softly as a warning. He'll bite a little harder the next time and eventually I get to the point that I know he's not going to keep warning me and I let him go and try again another day. I think I'm the only person who gets a warning... the vet office he will bite if given the chance which is why it took 2 people to hold him down.

As for the recent visit with the wound, he would only let me look at it which didn't help since I had no idea what I was looking at. They ended up sedating him so they could shave the area, clean the wound and take a closer look. There's no way he was going to let that happen fully awake. While sedated they were able to take advantage of the time and trim all his nails (front/back) and clean his teeth. I give him chicken necks twice a week which really help with keeping his teeth clean on their own so there wasn't much to clean.

Not sure if it helps, but as a kitten I took Shango to the vet office sometimes just to visit. No exam/shots... just a friendly visit to get him familiar with the vet office & smells. I would bring his favorite treats with me and have the vet/techs give him a treat in an attempt to establish a positive memory of the vet office. I didn't want him to only associate the place with negative experiences.

Congrats on your new Savannah! Can't wait to see pics in a few weeks.

Abby2932

Site Supporter
Not sure if it helps, but as a kitten I took Shango to the vet office sometimes just to visit. No exam/shots... just a friendly visit to get him familiar with the vet office & smells. I would bring his favorite treats with me and have the vet/techs give him a treat in an attempt to establish a positive memory of the vet office. I didn't want him to only associate the place with negative experiences.

That is all very helpful information, thank you so much for taking the time to share.

I plan on doing this as well. Maybe on Saturday mornings bring him in to the vet for a 5 minute "hello" and treats. When did you stop bringing him around for non-medical visits? Is there a reason you don't still do it?

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
Sorry it's been so long without any updates. I really need to start getting on here more often.

Shango is doing great. He's about 2.5 years old now and weighs just a little over 20 lbs. I had to take him to the vet a few weeks ago due to a small bump/wound I noticed on his upper belly. The vet still isn't sure what caused it... maybe a bug/spider bite that got infected. They gave him a convenia injection and some ointment they had me apply twice a day for a week and it's all better now. He's still super spoiled and is a mama's boy... he pretty much likes me and only me. Everyone else is usually greeted with hisses or growls. Some of my closer friends/family occasionally get to pet him, but for the most part he prefers to watch them at a distance. He's gotten lazier with his "old" age, but when it's play time he's got the energy of a kitten lol! Here are some pics of my handsome fur kid.

Still can't get enough of his airplane ears.
View attachment 26966
I moved his cat tree to a different spot in his bedroom and he seems to like the arrangement a lot better now. I still need to have my dad come over and help me hang up his steps & bridge on the wall. I'm definitely slacking... it's been almost a year in the new house and I still haven't unpacked them yet.
View attachment 26967
1st thing in the morning and late at night he gets super cuddly and likes to be loved on... this is not the case during the middle of the day. Affection is only given on his terms, but I always love to get snuggles and headbutts from my boy when he's willing to give them.
View attachment 26968
I still have no idea how he managed to jump up there without breaking the stand or the bottle of wine. I guess he can be graceful when he jumps when he's being sneaky.
View attachment 26969
One of his favorite toys. I have to take it away when I'm not supervising or he eats the head off.
View attachment 26970
As a kitten he used to love running/sliding through soda boxes.... the company must have shrunk their boxes lol! He gets stuck trying to back out, but it's always entertaining to watch him try.
View attachment 26971 View attachment 26972
Shango's not missing the snow. Now that it's warming up outside I'm able to take him outside more often and on longer walks.
View attachment 26973
This was after his vet appointment. I needed to keep him from licking the wound while it healed so he ended up wearing a borrowed "little monster" dog Halloween shirt.
View attachment 26974
Playing with his mouse toy. I try to get him a new toy every week or every other week. He loses interest in toys quickly so I try to keep them rotated out and add new ones when I can. He LOVES getting new toys.
View attachment 26975
Hanging out in his tree.
View attachment 26976
Love the pictures! He is gorgeous!

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
That is all very helpful information, thank you so much for taking the time to share.

I plan on doing this as well. Maybe on Saturday mornings bring him in to the vet for a 5 minute "hello" and treats. When did you stop bringing him around for non-medical visits? Is there a reason you don't still do it?

I always just called and asked when a good time would be to drop by.... our vet is closed on weekends unless it's an emergency so it was usually on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday since they're usually super busy Monday & Friday. I stopped around a year ago because Shango didn't enjoy the friendly visits. To him, they were just as stressful as an actual visit. It got to the point where it was difficult/time consuming for me to catch him just to get him to the car so I decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

He's very difficult to catch if he doesn't want to be. I think he's too smart for his own good and started to realize if I had my purse it was more than a walk outside so he would avoid letting me catch him. He can be such a pain to catch, but amazingly once he's in the car he travels great whether it's a 5 minute drive or a long 12 hour drive. If he knows we are simply going for a walk outside and he wants to go, all I have to do is get out his walking jacket and he comes running to me and lets me put it on him.